Windows 10 I had a weird thing happen this morning.

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi Everyone.

My computer was running fine yesterday and this morning when I booted it up, I got the dreaded message "No Operating System Found Disconnect your hard drives."
I shut down and the same thing happened again, three times in total.

The really weird thing was the "Disconnect the hard drives" part.

I was getting really worried the last thing I wanted was to spend the day trying to figure out what was wrong with my computer.

After 3 tries I pushed F2 and entered the bios.

I discovered that the Windows loader was the last thing on the list.
I know that it was usually the second thing with only my DVD drive ahead of it.

I moved it from the bottom to the top of the list and saved and shut down.

I was very relieved when it booted normally, but how did this happen?

I haven't accessed the bios lately and it booted fine until today.

How could the Bios setting have gotten changed since last night and why didn't it keep looking at the list until it found Drive C:\?

I've run all my diagnostics and everything looks good but it's weird.

Mike

Hi Everyone.

My computer was running fine yesterday and this morning when I booted it up, I got the dreaded message "No Operating System Found Disconnect your hard drives."
I shut down and the same thing happened again, three times in total.

The really weird thing was the "Disconnect the hard drives" part.

I was getting really worried the last thing I wanted was to spend the day trying to figure out what was wrong with my computer.

After 3 tries I pushed F2 and entered the bios.

I discovered that the Windows loader was the last thing on the list.
I know that it was usually the second thing with only my DVD drive ahead of it.

I moved it from the bottom to the top of the list and saved and shut down.

I was very relieved when it booted normally, but how did this happen?

I haven't accessed the bios lately and it booted fine until today.

How could the Bios setting have gotten changed since last night and why didn't it keep looking at the list until it found Drive C:\?

I've run all my diagnostics and everything looks good but it's weird.

Mike
CMOS reset? * or CMOS battery dying?

It happened to me a few times and always after a windows update that changed the windows version number, not the regular minor updates. I can't explain that and I can tell that it took me a while to find the reason when it happened the first time.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Hi Guys

I figured out part of the problem, when it got out of order it put USB drives in the first position.
One of the last things I did last night is put a blank flash drive into a slot.

That's why it wouldn't boot, if I had realized that all I would have had to do is remove the flash drive and it would have started.
But I still don't know how the Bios got that way.

This is a pretty new computer, so I hope the battery isn't going already.

I have had a number of Windows updates recently but don't know if that was the problem.
At least everything is working.

I have had to drain the computer and reset the master boot record because of power failures during the night when it was turned off, I don't know if it could have happened then or not.

Mike

Hi Guys

I figured out part of the problem, when it got out of order it put USB drives in the first position.
One of the last things I did last night is put a blank flash drive into a slot.

That's why it wouldn't boot, if I had realized that all I would have had to do is remove the flash drive and it would have started.
But I still don't know how the Bios got that way.

This is a pretty new computer, so I hope the battery isn't going already.

I have had a number of Windows updates recently but don't know if that was the problem.
At least everything is working.

Mike
When it happened to me, it was always immediately after an update that took a long time, after the final boot that would finish the update. I know that this is hard to explain, but it is what it is.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

I suppose that it's "Possible" that it's always been like that, and when I put in a DVD it still found Windows and booted, but when I booted with the blank flash drive and no DVD it screwed it up. I may never have done that before. There are a number of possibilities because counting the flash drive I have 5 internal drives. and two of those drives are partitioned.

Two 500 GB SSDs, One 4 TB hard drive, a DVD, and the flash drive.

I think the list showed a lot of those drives. I'll look at the whole boot order thing after Thanksgiving.

I have booted it to my DVD several times when restoring my System Image file but there was never a flash drive in when I did it, and I don't normally have a flash drive in when booting.

Anyways, an empty flash drive or a non bootable dvd should not make a difference and the computer should try the next drive in the boot list, until finding a bootable one.
In my case, what happened is that the hdd was still in the same position in the boot list, but the chosen hdd was not the right one, that is, the bootable one.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

I guess it's just kind of a mystery Friday I'll go through the whole thing and see if I can tell what' going on but at least it's back to normal for now.

Back