Windows 7 I have lost icons and cannot restore them!

perzaklie

I have searched all the applicable posts I could find here and elsewhere and I cannot seem to find a solution. I sure would appreciate some help.

Two days ago, I turned my desktop PC on and my sound, network, action center and power icons were missing. I have made no software or hardware changes to the PC in a long time except for normal Windows 7 updates. I have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and I have been using it for almost 10 years. This is the first instance of this behavior I've ever experienced.

I opened gpedit.msc as Administrator and verified the settings as per a tutorial I found.
I downloaded Enable_Volume_Notification_Icon.reg utility I found on another forum and ran it.
I re-booted several times.
I checked my sound card drivers for updates and none were found.
The icons are greyed out and when I select Turn system icons on and off they are OFF and blacked out and I cannot turn them back on.

Here are screen prints of gpedit, and taskbar settings
Thank you.

gpedit.jpg
notification area icon settings.jpg
notification area icons.jpg

With procmon I found these. Make sure they're not set to 1 or just delete them and either reboot or restart explorer

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\HideSCAVolume SUCCESS Type: REG_DWORD, Length: 4, Data: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\HideSCANetwork SUCCESS Type: REG_DWORD, Length: 4, Data: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\HideSCAPower SUCCESS Type: REG_DWORD, Length: 4, Data: 1

Thank you very much for the reply. When I open regedit, and I follow HKEY_Local_Machine tree to Explorer, there are no HideSCA* entries.
Should there be?

Attachments

• regedit scrnprt.jpg
    regedit scrnprt.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 296
Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.

No such. HKCU Scrnprt attached

Attachments

• regedit hkcu.jpg
    regedit hkcu.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 318
Back
Top Bottom