I Have Two Concerns/Questions About This Forum

pagroundhog

Hello all,

Concern #1 - Why is my Network Activity Indicator showing "consistent activity" ONLY when I'm logged into this forum, sitting idle, and/or viewing posts. Does this forum run some kind of background script that consistently attempts to collect data? I see an auto-save notice appear occasionally. This is the only website where this happens and I'm a bit concerned about this unknown activity.

Concern #2 _ What is the SPY link that appears at the top of certain pages (right underneath the main header)?

AND, before you might ask, this PC is 100% virus/malware free.

UPDATE:
Ok, I have determined that something is causing my Firefox memory usage to "continue to grow" while I'm sitting at idle on this website. Again, this is the only website where this happens so for that reason, I'm outta here!

Nice meeting you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
My network is active if I am trying to access a post, etc, otherwise no problem
SPY? Never noticed it. How about a picture?

Hey pagroundhog, can you take some screen shots of the spy thing. I don't see it. I to use FF and don't have that problem either. It could be a plugin running in the background but that's just a best guess. Could you post some screen shots of that as well.

Also what AV software are you using in conjunction with any and all malware your using.

As for constant network activity, that is likely the AJAX live thread updater which literally shows replies the moment they're posted in a thread as you're viewing it. As for the memory usage, it could also becaused by the Ajax or possibly some other script. I also request to see screenshots of this "spy" you're talking about. We respect user privacy and do not partake nor conduct any malicious activities.

I have forwarded this to the site owner, Mike, for clarification.

It is AJAX thread polling and it does expire after 300 seconds if you do not move your mouse on thread pages. Basically, as Mitchell said, it will update the thread on the page, as it is being written. So, if Mitchell and I were both concurrently writing to a thread, and he submitted his post first, it would appear on my screen without refreshing the page. This is called live AJAX thread polling and it is used on this site. Once again, after 300 seconds it times out if you do not use your mouse. There is no spyware or unusual software running on these servers whatsoever. Any insinuation that such exists is nonsensical. Thank you.

Hey pagroundhog, can you take some screen shots of the spy thing. I don't see it. I to use FF and don't have that problem either. It could be a plugin running in the background but that's just a best guess. Could you post some screen shots of that as well.

Also what AV software are you using in conjunction with any and all malware your using.

The whole spying thing is a ridiculous insinuation, likely from an anti-virus company. It would be important for us to know what anti-virus software this is so I can call them and let them know they are spreading FUD across the Internet. Regards.

Back
Top Bottom