Windows 7 I need to allow ActiveX add on

powerlever

I need to allow an ActiveX (.cab) add on so I can remotely view my home security DVR.
Windows will not allow me to install this add on because the publisher is unknown.
I am running Windows 7 home premium whch unfortunately does not have group settings.
I think I need to edit the registry in some way to allow this add on but I have not been able to figure it out.
How can I configure Windows 7 Home premium to allow ActiveX?

no luck

Still doesn't work.
I have found various posts on the internet similar to my problem, most of the solutions advise people that they can allow "unknown publishers" in their group settings, however I am running Home Premium which doesn't have the ability to change group settings. Most of the posts say that you just have to do it manually with my version by editing the registry, but no step by step instructions. I did find a fix for this problem in Vista but it seems to be a little different. When I try to view my DVR server IE8 doesn't allow the activeX add on but gives me the option to run it anyway, then windows won't let me install it because it is from an unknown publisher and doesn't give me the option to allow it, its rediculous.

You can add the site to the Trusted sites in Internet Explorer options under the Security tab.

Still doesn't work.
I have found various posts on the internet similar to my problem, most of the solutions advise people that they can allow "unknown publishers" in their group settings, however I am running Home Premium which doesn't have the ability to change group settings. Most of the posts say that you just have to do it manually with my version by editing the registry, but no step by step instructions. I did find a fix for this problem in Vista but it seems to be a little different. When I try to view my DVR server IE8 doesn't allow the activeX add on but gives me the option to run it anyway, then windows won't let me install it because it is from an unknown publisher and doesn't give me the option to allow it, its rediculous.

This is very strange... DirectX is almost an integral part of windows and so should be recognised without problem. I'm wondering what else is going on here... I'll have a check and get back to you..

You're right Kemical as this is coming directly from Microsoft's site

See if you can locate adirect download link to save it to your hard drive, then excute it there.

Are you trying to download an older version of DirectX as Kemical has said:

DirectX is almost an integral part of windows and so should be recognised without problem

Last edited:
Agreed Reghakr it's definitely a strange one... I'll have a look through google now although I'm wondering if the OP has done an upgrade instead of a clean install...or something of that nature?

Also can the OP check his dxdiag?

If you check the following screenshot you'll see where to find it and how to save the files needed.. Please then post the file..

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Everything looks fine to me, I don't know.......I'll keep messing with it, if anyone thinks of anything else let me know

No that doesn't work, its windows that is not allowing the "unknown publisher" not IE

Who's talking about IE? I asked you to check your dxdiag and post the results. These are files relating to your DirectX and may contain a clue as to what the problem is...

ummm...reghakr (the other person who doesn't know how to fix my problem) posted "You can add the site to the Trusted sites in Internet Explorer options under the Security tab".........thats who was talking about internet explorer. I'm pretty sure you guys know less about this than I do. I'm done with this. I'll look elseware for my solution.

Let us know what you find as I'm always eager to learn...

Oh and thanks for being so courteous too..

Last edited:
Out of interest, do you have UAC on? Try turn it off see if it works. Something else you could try is Chrome has an IE tab extension, not sure if it has ActiveX with it but maybe you could try that. Lastly, there is a command you can enter into command promt that might help. bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS its for driver signing but it may help you here.

1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.
2. Navigate to the website that you want to add to a specific security zone.
3. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
4. Click the Security tab, and then click a security zone (Local intranet, Trusted sites, or Restricted sites).
5. Click Sites.
6. If you clicked Local intranet in step 4, click Advanced.
7. The website should be shown in the Add this website to the zone field. Click Add.
If the site is not a secure site (HTTPS), clear the Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone check box.
8. Click Close, and then click OK (or click OK twice if you clicked Local intranet in step 4).
For more information, please refer to the link mentioned below:
Security zones: adding or removing websites

Back
Top Bottom