Windows 7 I switched back to my old computer......

djwayne

because my new computer died yesterday. It got bumped and the stock Intel processor fan fell off became unplugged and it's possible my cpu burned up not sure though. The computer won't even power up now. So it's either the CPU, power supply or motherboard problem, I don't know yet. So anyhow I switched it for my old AMD computer, and installed the Windows 7 Release Candidate (32 Bit). Everything went pretty smooth and it's working great but again I have the problem of it not shutting down, and hanging up on the "shutting down" screen. When I get some time I'll be working on the newer computer, but for now, the old AMD computer is working out great.

:)

Update: I checked out the power supply and it wasn't working. I took it out there was small coil bouncing around inside of it. So I'm sure it's the power supply that's bad.

Update. The new computer is now fixed. I bought a 460 watt Cooler Master Extreme Plus, and installed it, and now the computer is working great again. While I was in there I did a lot of housekeeping and cleaning, so now it's good to go.

Thanks !! Yes, the new power supply is working great, I haven't had any problems with it at all. It fired up on the first try, and has been running great ever since. The good thing in all this was I downloaded and installed Windows 7 RC 32 bit onto my old computer, so that's now up to date. I use the old computer as an emergency back up.

Another good thing was I found on the internet the power plug configuration for a power supply and what you need to do to test it. I also found a troubleshooting chart that identified my power supply as the problem.

Replacing it was a piece of cake for me.

..............because my new computer died yesterday. It got bumped and the stock Intel processor fan fell off became unplugged .........................

I HATE those push/pull pins on the Intel stock coolers and others. They just never seem secure and whilst it might be OK when the chassis is lying on its side, once the chassis goes into the upright position, the gravitational (and rotational spin) forces can unseat it if it has not been 100% securely fitted.

I recently changed to one of the cpu coolers which has a backplate (Noctua NH-U12P) and it fastens onto the cpu much more securely and much more easily. Downside is that you have to rebuild the system from scratch as you have to remove the motherboard to do it.

Thanks !! Yes, the new power supply is working great, I haven't had any problems with it at all. It fired up on the first try, and has been running great ever since. The good thing in all this was I downloaded and installed Windows 7 RC 32 bit onto my old computer, so that's now up to date. I use the old computer as an emergency back up.

Another good thing was I found on the internet the power plug configuration for a power supply and what you need to do to test it. I also found a troubleshooting chart that identified my power supply as the problem.

Replacing it was a piece of cake for me.

Glad to hear you got your power probs sorted . I have a tendancy to use a lot of usb devices and find a good power supply is most important .

I found the trick to installing those Intel fans with the push pin. Lay your computer on it's side, set up the push pins so that the black expander is above the end of the pin, position the fan over the cpu with the push pins gently inserted into each hole, then gently with your index finger, gently push down on each push pin one by one,. which should lock the fan into place fairly securly. I know it works for me, but it is a little tricky. You do have to set up each push pin exactly BEFORE you attempt to install it. The push pin should NOT be expanded before you insert it into the hole.

My computer suffered a pretty nasty bump the other day which I think knocked off the fan. My computer chair broke and I almost fell over and my feet were flying and hit the computer. I have since fixed my chair so that will never happen again.

Hope you are ok .

Nasty acident to have . Got me checking out my chair :eek:

My old power supply was a cheapy that came with the case when I bought it. My computer guru suggested I replace it with a better quality one, so not much is lost, in fact I've gained a pretty good quality power supply now with this Cooler Master I bought. It has better quality wiring and is quiet as a mouse, so I'm happy with the new repair/upgrade.

My old power supply was a cheapy that came with the case when I bought it. My computer guru suggested I replace it with a better quality one, so not much is lost, in fact I've gained a pretty good quality power supply now with this Cooler Master I bought. It has better quality wiring and is quiet as a mouse, so I'm happy with the new repair/upgrade.

I hate the PSU's that come with cases.. ;) Quality goes right out the window with those models most of the time.. I've got a Corsair HX 520W PSU in one of my pc's and their HX 1000W PSU in another.. both VERY rock solid PSU's! :) And they are both nice and quite..

Back