Windows 10 I think I figured out something about my sound issue.

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I thought that my sound issue had gone away.
But I stopped computing for a while and had lunch.

When I came back, my computer had gone to sleep and when I woke it up, no sound.

I started thinking about it and it may be that this is what has been happening in the past.
I often go away from my computer and let it go to sleep.

I changed the sleep time on my computer from 15 minutes to not shut down for an hour and we'll see what is happening but it may be that when it comes out of sleep mode the sound doesn't restart.

Mike

Solution
If you're experiencing sound issues specifically after your computer wakes up from sleep mode, there are a few common troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve this problem. Here's how you can address the sound not restarting after waking your computer from sleep mode:
### Troubleshooting Steps for Sound Issues after Sleep Mode:
1. Check Sound Settings:
- After waking up the computer, check the sound settings:
- Right-click the sound icon in the system tray and select Open Sound settings.
- Ensure that the correct playback device is selected.

2. Restart Audio Service:
- Sometimes the audio service may not restart properly after waking up from sleep. You can restart the audio service by:
If you're experiencing sound issues specifically after your computer wakes up from sleep mode, there are a few common troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve this problem. Here's how you can address the sound not restarting after waking your computer from sleep mode:
### Troubleshooting Steps for Sound Issues after Sleep Mode:
1. Check Sound Settings:
- After waking up the computer, check the sound settings:
- Right-click the sound icon in the system tray and select Open Sound settings.
- Ensure that the correct playback device is selected.

2. Restart Audio Service:
- Sometimes the audio service may not restart properly after waking up from sleep. You can restart the audio service by:
- Press Win + R, type services.msc, and press Enter.
- Locate Windows Audio in the Services window, right-click it, and select Restart.

3. Update Audio Drivers:
- Outdated or incompatible audio drivers can cause sound issues. Update the audio drivers to the latest version from the manufacturer's website or using Windows Update.
4. Power Management Settings:
- Ensure that power management settings are not affecting the sound:
- Right-click the sound icon, choose Sounds, go to Communications tab, and select Do nothing.
- Check power settings related to audio in Device Manager for the audio device (e.g., disable auto power off or put the device to sleep).
5. Disable Fast Startup:
- Fast Startup can sometimes cause hardware issues. Disable Fast Startup by:
- Go to Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what the power buttons do.
- Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable and uncheck Turn on fast startup.

6. Driver Reinstallation:
- If updating drivers doesn't resolve the issue, try uninstalling the audio drivers completely and then reinstalling them.
7. Windows Updates:
- Ensure that Windows is up to date with the latest updates. Some updates may include fixes for sound-related issues.
By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and resolve the sound problem that occurs when your computer wakes up from sleep mode. If the issue persists, feel free to provide more details for further assistance.

Solution