Windows 7 I think I've really screwed up my brand-new gaming rig.

trog69

Fantastic Member
I was in the process of re-downloading Fallout3 from D2D. They are in the process of converting to GameFly and there is confusion with their downloaders. I installed both of their dlers, Comrade and the standard Downloader, but the game download stilll went directly to my Chrome browser downloader. With the result that I had many multiple instances of the Zipped files downloading.

Now, in my Downloads folder, I have a file, named Data2, containing 125.6 TRILLION KB! Obviously, this will not extract, as it is much larger than my 2tb HDD, and when I try to delete, I get an error message-80004005, which I imagine is just a generic error code.

I really am an ignorant nitwit, so how do I get this out of my system?

Can you delete the files from the download managers. Since you do not have enough room, they could not have finished the download.

Do the files show a .part extension?

It shows as a Cabinet file. I don't know how to determine what the extension is. The files are all from the Chrome browser downloader, and now reside in my Downloads folder under Win7, under the Fallout_3_dd_NA_setup folder, which shows 5,779,145 kb Compressed. I take it that is the correct amount for the game files, which say @6gb data. But when I open that folder, a DATA2 file has the monstrous amount indicated, along with various other game related files.

I thought your aim was to delete the downloaded files. If so, can you remove them from the downloaders?

Can you move the file? Can you extract it to another drive? Can you hold down the shift key and hit delete to bypass the recycle bin?

I suppose I don't really understand why 3 separate download utilities would be the downloaded files in the same place, or at least that is what you seem to be saying.

As far as the game, 6 GB is a large file, but I have no knowledge of that game. The fact one file would be larger seems reasonable if that file were to be holding the information for the graphics/video/sound, but not as large as you indicate.

Edit: Something that does not make sense is, if the compressed file is the size indicated on the website, you could not have one part being much larger than the original file. The entire file would also be larger. Have you tried to extract it?

Last edited:
I have been thinking about your situation, and it seems if you really are showing the file size you indicate, the file is probably corrupted.

It would be good if you could disconnect it from the download managers, but if you can't you might be able to use File Assassin from Malwarebytes to remove it. If you already have Malwarebytes installed, it is included there.

If that doesn't work, I have another way, using the command prompt, to set it to delete during a reboot. Let us know how it goes.

Hi

Have you tried the File Assassin option that Saltgrass suggested?

If that doesn't work, try logging in as administrator and then running System Restore to a restore point before you downloaded the file.
Then try and delete it again.

It sounds like the file failed to complete and the system is stuck thinking the file is unaccessible or still in use.

If you can get the system back to a point before that it should delete.

Mike

Ps. Check this out.

How To Fix 80004005 Error?

Thanks to all for the help. Once I calmed down, (Firing up my Fallout:NV and stomping Legionaires really helped. hehe) I un-installed both Downloaders from D2D. Then I went back to the Downloads folder, and then clicked "delete" on the entire Fallout3 folder. This worked, deleting the problem file as well as all of the downloaded files from this fiasco. I then re-installed their basic Downloader, and I now have the game installed on the system.

Obviously, I panicked after seeing such a monstrous file seemingly un-delete-able. I just bought this gaming rig, and it wasn't cheap, and plugged it in 2 days ago, so I was not in a proper state to resolve this on my own, without taking a while to come back to it.

EDIT: Oh, and I refrained from apologizing to D2D for my less-than adoring support query, as they did not indicate to us customers that they were in the process of merging to another, different downloading/purchasing scheme, and still having 1 downloader, Comrade, that continues to have issues with Win7 x64 setups. I use Origin, Gamestop, and Steam for online game purchases/downloads, and D2D is the only entity that causes me such headaches; this particular issue isn't the first.

Last edited:
Comment removed due to possible misunderstanding...

Last edited:
First, why do you assume that I don't have a backup system in place, nor media to record it? Second, what relevance is that to the problem I encountered.

Sorry, but your response was slightly condescending.

No comment .....as my ident says, just trying to help.....

Back
Top Bottom