Windows 7 I want to open two instances of explorer

anykey

Honorable Member
Hello folks, my big concern is about what I still call File Manager or Windows Explorer.
I am used to opening Explorer using WinKey+E.
Yeah that still works but I like two instances open and I tile them side by side.
I cannot do that now I have Win7.
Or can I..??

A right click on the taskbar still gives you the option to "Show Windows Side by side"

Just make sure that they are the only visible windows

Hello folks, my big concern is about what I still call File Manager or Windows Explorer.
I am used to opening Explorer using WinKey+E.
Yeah that still works but I like two instances open and I tile them side by side.
I cannot do that now I have Win7.
Or can I..??

You can also drag to them to the left and ride side, respectively.

I am still having trouble opening a second instance of Explorer.
I can dock one window left or right (Winkey+arrow)
But I cannot open a second window.

Plus sorry to say, when I right click I do not get "Show Windows Side by side"

I am not having much luck with this issue...

Make sure that after you open the first window, you navigate away from the librarie. It seems that you cannot have 2 windows showing the same folder.

And to access the "Show Windows Side By Side" you have to right click on an empty space of the taskbar.

you never could open two windows showing the same folder.

nonetheless, you can simply open a new window with strg+n

regards

We seem to be getting there.
I found the "side by side" by clicking on an empty space - thanks for that tip, ups.
But still couldn't get second pane.
Then tried, right click on the Explorer task bar icon, and selected Windows Explorer.
That brought up the second instance. At last.
Very fiddly. Not intuitive at all.
Thanks for your help ups.

Sorry BlackWolf, I don't understand strg+n.

Last edited:
you never could open two windows showing the same folder.

nonetheless, you can simply open a new window with strg+n

regards

In windows XP there is no problem in having two explorer windows showing the same folder.

Strg+n?

In windows XP there is no problem in having two explorer windows showing the same folder.

Strg+n?
lol I'm sorry ... didn't think about what I was writing.
strg is the german "version" of crtl, that's all :p so crtl+n brings up a new windows

to open up one windows explorer you press the (win + e) key. Then once you have that windows explorer open and you are focused on it all you need do is hit (Ctrl + N) to open another instance of it. Hopefully this helps you out.

You can also click in on the taskbar icon of the explorer with the middle mouse button (wheel), assuming you have one.
Yeah I read that somewhere too - it doesn't work for me.
Although wheel clicks in other apps do work.

to open up one windows explorer you press the (win + e) key. Then once you have that windows explorer open and you are focused on it all you need do is hit (Ctrl + N) to open another instance of it. Hopefully this helps you out.

Fiddly but Winkey+e, Winkey+arrow>, Ctrl+n, Winkey+arrow< works. Hooray :razz:
Thank you so much one and all for your help and assistance.

Last edited:
Back