weardalered

This is another follow-up thread but I need to know how to use it (easily)

I have tried to use the normal routine to recover my profile:

1. create a new profile
2. Copy every file from the old to the new with the exception of:
ntuser.ini
ntuser.dat
ntuser.dat.log

However this does not allow me any access to any folder whatsover except the files on the desktop.

Someone offered this.

icacls c:\Windows /grant user-name:F

user-name or SID.

SID prefixed with *

The indication was that this would give the user-name Full permissions to access all folders but the command did not complete.

Added to this my PC is setup as follows:

C: = System
G:\Profiles = User profiles.

Ay advice (preferably of the good sort) would be more than welcome

Solution
To recover access to all folders on your system, especially after encountering issues with copying your user profile, you can try granting full permissions to a specific user or account on your Windows system. The suggested command involving icacls is a powerful tool that can help you adjust permissions. Here's how you can proceed:
  1. Granting Full Permissions:
    • Open Command Prompt as an administrator. Press Win + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In Command Prompt, use the following command structure:
      Code:
      plaintext icacls "C:\Windows" /grant :F
      • Replace with the actual username you want to grant access. Remember, the account you specify must exist on your system.
      • If you...
To recover access to all folders on your system, especially after encountering issues with copying your user profile, you can try granting full permissions to a specific user or account on your Windows system. The suggested command involving icacls is a powerful tool that can help you adjust permissions. Here's how you can proceed:
  1. Granting Full Permissions:
    • Open Command Prompt as an administrator. Press Win + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In Command Prompt, use the following command structure:
      Code:
      plaintext icacls "C:\Windows" /grant :F
      • Replace with the actual username you want to grant access. Remember, the account you specify must exist on your system.
      • If you prefer using the Security Identifier (SID) instead of the username, use the following command structure:
        Code:
        plaintext icacls "C:\Windows" /grant *:F
      • Make sure to replace with the actual SID of the user or account you want to grant access to.
    • Performing the Command:
      • Ensure that you run the command in Command Prompt with administrative privileges to make changes to system folders.
      • After executing the command, it should grant the specified user full access to the Windows folder and its subfolders.
    • Recovering User Profile:
      • If the previous method doesn't resolve the issue with accessing your folders, you may need to recreate your user profile or troubleshoot further. For your specific setup:
        • C: typically contains the Windows system files.
        • G:\Profiles houses user profiles.
        If you continue to face issues, consider creating a new user profile, ensuring its correct setup and transferring necessary files with appropriate permissions. Feel free to provide more details if you encounter any difficulties after trying the above steps.

Solution
Back