Windows 7 IE 8 Is Total Crap

Joe S

Excellent Member
Anybody else feel the same? I use Firefox most of the time but a few things I need IE for. Is there a way to uninstall it and install 7? I'm sick of it freezing the system when it quits responding.
Joe

IE 8 does have its issues, its almost like it needs a service pack. Heres a link to download IE 7, and it appears to be a legal software site...however checkout the sites reputation before downloading. I've seen it before but never got anything from them.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Anybody else feel the same? I use Firefox most of the time but a few things I need IE for. Is there a way to uninstall it and install 7? I'm sick of it freezing the system when it quits responding.
Joe

Yes you can remove it. Control Panel > Programs and Features and on the left is turn Windows features on or off and uncheck IE8.

Personally I dont use IE8 much either, but every now and then I have trouble downloading from Microsoft sites eg Windows Live, or Win RC download. Doesnt happen to everyone, my personal observations. I am a Chrome convert from Firefox now.

The 3.0 Dev version of Chrome is available Link Removed - Invalid URL if your looking.

I have been using both 64bit and 32bit since the early releases. I have had no problems that I would not also encounter in alternative browsers. Maybe you should run through the options again?

you know dave...the issues I have with IE 8 are usually caused by the sites I go to. These sites are technology sites as well as business sites that are now heavily advertised on. Informationweek.com, businessweek.com, techweb.com, marketwatch.com, or any of the Crains sites all seem to stall the 32 bit version of IE 8. Firefox isn't much better and neither is Opera. Websites are getting more complex by integrating flash applications for advertisements and countless java applications. Add a bloated browser, and you will have conflict...i.e. lag.

this is why people like chrome....simple with little bloat

You may be right there, Kevin. I am not a big browser so possibly the sites I frequent daily are light enough not to cause problems. I do find, though, keeping the above comment in mind, that, as far as is noticeable, IE perfoms as fast as any other.
P.S. Later.
O n second thoughts, I visit some pretty busy locations. Yet to have a problem. Instead of "I'm sick of it freezing the system when it quits responding. " Perhaps the OP could indicate if there are any specific instances where this occurs?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always used IE for my browsing, and have yet to have any significant issues. I do have a copy of Firefox for testing purposes if I have problems with a site, but it rarely gets used.

I did have a few problems with IE when using beta 7000, but on RC1 it's, as mentioned already, just as good as any other browser out there.

Thank you, Infi. Confirms my thoughts. Many of the benchmarks around also confirm this.

I have also been using both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of IE8 with no problems at all.. Kevin is right, most problems can be traced back to the sites one visits.. ;)

Im using IE8 with W7, didnt like it on Vista, it seemed like it was more laggy, i mostly go to forum sites like this one and whether its the site or not it seemed worse running under VIsta.

I principally use Chrome. But I keep IE8 installed for compatibility reasons. No issues that I can tell with IE8. For me it actually feels a bit more responsive than IE7, but not as much so as Chrome.

Back
Top Bottom