Windows 8 [IE] any way to keep the app without seting as default?

StefaNafetS

Extraordinary Member
While working I mostly use Chrome. Even so the fullscreen IE metro appp is quite appealing and its nice to wander sometimes while using it.So there is no other way of keeping it as app too without seting IE as default browser.
And on a side note: That Browser choice shoulnt dissapear once Ive made my decision?

Hi,

apologies your post was missed until now.

It is possible to keep IE for metro whilst having Chrome as the default browser. If you currently have a chrome icon on the takbar please remove it first as it just makes this process easier.
Make sure that IE is your default browser. Open the metro/start screen right click on the chrome tile and place it on the task bar. Open the desktop and click on the chrome icon. Look for the settings tab (usually located on the top right) and open up Settings. Scroll down to where it say's 'make chrome the default browser' and click it. You'll then notice another window open on screen asking how you would like links dealt with (which browser to use) make sure you click IE and that will make sure it's used in Metro and not Chrome.

Hi,

apologies your post was missed until now.

It is possible to keep IE for metro whilst having Chrome as the default browser. If you currently have a chrome icon on the takbar please remove it first as it just makes this process easier.
Make sure that IE is your default browser. Open the metro/start screen right click on the chrome tile and place it on the task bar. Open the desktop and click on the chrome icon. Look for the settings tab (usually located on the top right) and open up Settings. Scroll down to where it say's 'make chrome the default browser' and click it. You'll then notice another window open on screen asking how you would like links dealt with (which browser to use) make sure you click IE and that will make sure it's used in Metro and not Chrome.

Not sure if you got me : I want : chrome as default browser while still be able to have Explorer as metro app. I understood that you can have the explorer as metro app only if you set as default instead of Chrome.

Once you change IE from default you loose it as a metro app. My default browser is FF, then when I go to metro IE it opens it up in desktop mode. The only way to have metro IE is to have IE as your default browser. There is still the Bing browser you could use, it's still a metro app either way...not sure if you can change the background or search provider.

Not sure if you got me : I want : chrome as default browser while still be able to have Explorer as metro app. I understood that you can have the explorer as metro app only if you set as default instead of Chrome.

Apologies my posts wasn't very clear.

To have Chrome as the default browser but use IE in Metro is quite easy to do.

First I'm assuming you already have Chrome as your default browser. If this is the case then you must make sure that IE is the default for this process to work. (you only need to change it back to IE so we can access certain settings)
Now making sure IE is the default browser click on the chrome browser to open it. When it opens you'll be asked if you want to make it the default like so:

chrome.jpg

Click 'Set as default' and you'll see a different box open, now this is the important bit, make sure you click IE, like so:

ie.jpg

Once clicked you should now have chrome as the default but with IE being used in Metro. I should also mention that this will also mean that if you click on a link in an email lets say then it will be IE that opens and not chrome.

Apologies my posts wasn't very clear.

To have Chrome as the default browser but use IE in Metro is quite easy to do.

First I'm assuming you already have Chrome as your default browser. If this is the case then you must make sure that IE is the default for this process to work. (you only need to change it back to IE so we can access certain settings)
Now making sure IE is the default browser click on the chrome browser to open it. When it opens you'll be asked if you want to make it the default like so:

View attachment 1358

Click 'Set as default' and you'll see a different box open, now this is the important bit, make sure you click IE, like so:

View attachment 1359

Once clicked you should now have chrome as the default but with IE being used in Metro. I should also mention that this will also mean that if you click on a link in an email lets say then it will be IE that opens and not chrome.

Will this work with any other browser....?

I haven't tried it with others but as you use FF maybe you can try it and let us know?

hmmm, I think I dont know what exactly means "default browser". Isnt that the one that opens the links? If not then what? Mainly thats the way I wanted for Chrome to do- to open the links.

Chrome will be the default browser for the main it's just that with an email carrying a link then in the instance i've given above it will be IE that opens not Chrome. IE will remain the default browser metro wise though. It isn't perfect I know...

Keeping the IE as metro + opening links, HTML and HTTP docs with chrome can i do that? lets go over the default browser thing which it slips me lol

Keeping it simple, I maintain IE as my default browser and use two distinct Firefox portable versions. Now, since IE is the only installed browser, there are no default browser conflicts. I assume you could do the same with Chrome as they have a portable version as well. Good luck!

hmmm, I think I dont know what exactly means "default browser". Isnt that the one that opens the links? If not then what? Mainly thats the way I wanted for Chrome to do- to open the links.

Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by "open links?" Specifically, where would these links reside (on your desktop?) and where would they point to (eg, internal html files, external internet urls, etc)?

Make sure that IE is your default browser. Open the metro/start screen right click on the chrome tile and place it on the task bar. Open the desktop and click on the chrome icon. Look for the settings tab (usually located on the top right) and open up Settings.

Keeping it simple, I maintain IE as my default browser and use two distinct Firefox portable versions. Now, since IE is the only installed browser, there are no default browser conflicts. I assume you could do the same with Chrome as they have a portable version as well. Good luck!

Yeah
I agree

Back