Windows 7 IE10 (Win 7, 64 bit) not recognized by some websites

sewcat77

Hi, I have IE10 (Win 7, 64 bit), but quite a few websites (e.g. Jacquilawson, Youtube, etc.) come up with a message that I should use a more uptodate browser. My IE10 is automatically updated, it does not run in compatibility mode and I also have the latest flash player. I have tried running it without add-ons and I have also reset it, but nothing makes a difference. I can use Mozilla Firefox without any trouble. What else could I try? Thanks for any help Sewcat77 P.S. I also ticked: "Use software rendering..." and I do not get any error messages.

I'm running 7 home premium, using IE10 and I have no issues opening youtube. Not sure what that other name refers to, so can't check that one.

Make sure you have all your MS updates installed. You could try to manually setting the site to compatibility mode. Scroll down the page to the link "To change compatibility view settings" and follow instructions.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-10-win-7

Last edited:
Hi, I have IE10 (Win 7, 64 bit), but quite a few websites (e.g. Jacquilawson, Youtube, etc.) come up with a message that I should use a more uptodate browser. My IE10 is automatically updated, it does not run in compatibility mode and I also have the latest flash player. I have tried running it without add-ons and I have also reset it, but nothing makes a difference. I can use Mozilla Firefox without any trouble. What else could I try? Thanks for any help Sewcat77 P.S. I also ticked: "Use software rendering..." and I do not get any error messages.

Suggestions only :

1.Assuming you have Ad Block. Disable or uninstall Ad Block, and try those websites that you have trouble with.

2. Open IE10 > press F12 key > at the bottom, click Browser Mode IE10, select IE9.
Now try those websites again.
If it works, press F12 key again to exit IE9 mode when you are done.

Hi bassfisher, thanks for your suggestions. I have all the latest updates installed automatically (and there are no failed updates).
Hi davidhk129, thanks also. I don't have AdBlock. I tried F12 and Browser Mode came up as IE10 compatibility view, although under settings this is not ticked. Document mode came up as: unknown. I clicked on IE9 and it came up with Document mode 5 quirk (not quite sure, but similar). Anyhow I did not get message that my Browser looks tired or is outdated. On the other side, I went to Paypal today and I got message that my browser needs updating. I just tried it with the IE9 method and it seems to be o.k. Thanks for your help. Sewcat77 P.S. Is there any way to fix IE10.

Hi bassfisher, thanks for your suggestions. I have all the latest updates installed automatically (and there are no failed updates).
Hi davidhk129, thanks also. I don't have AdBlock. I tried F12 and Browser Mode came up as IE10 compatibility view, although under settings this is not ticked. Document mode came up as: unknown. I clicked on IE9 and it came up with Document mode 5 quirk (not quite sure, but similar). Anyhow I did not get message that my Browser looks tired or is outdated. On the other side, I went to Paypal today and I got message that my browser needs updating. I just tried it with the IE9 method and it seems to be o.k. Thanks for your help. Sewcat77 P.S. Is there any way to fix IE10.

I don't have a permanent solution for you.
I have seen a lot of people having similar issues with IE10, namely they can access most websites but not all of them. And they have the same error message.
But then, majority of us have no issues at all. I use a Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit IE10. No problem accessing websites.

Until you get a solution, use the F12 developer tool.
*** Don't touch the Document Mode. Just click at Browser Mode:IE10, and select IE9.

Hi bassfisher, do you use IE10 with DEP. As far as I found out, there is no special IE 10 for 64 bit. I also wonder, whether I should reinstall IE 10. Sewcat 77

......do you use IE10 with DEP......
You have to decide what is best/safest for your computer.
It is advisable that you do not turn off DEP.

........... As far as I found out, there is no special IE 10 for 64 bit........
For a Win 7 64-bit OS, you do have both IE10 32-bit and 64-bit. They come in package deal when you download IE10 with a Win 7 64-bit OS.
IE10 32-bit is your default IE for compatibility reasons because most programs/software are 32-bit.
You can access and run the 64-bit IE if needed.

..........whether I should reinstall IE 10...........
It does not hurt if you reinstall with a fresh copy.
You have to uninstall the current IE10, then go to MS website and download IE10 again.
Here is the MS IE10 download link for Windows 7 SP1:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/internet-explorer/ie-10-worldwide-languages

Do you know how to uninstall IE10 ?

Hi David, thanks for all the information. I run IE 10 with the DEP. I probably would prefer to do without it as I do not really go to many websites that I do not know well. In IE9 I was able to use both IE10 for 32 bit and IE 10 for 64 bit, but this does not seem possible in IE 10. If you have any suggestions about uninstalling IE 10, I would appreciate them. Sewcat77 P.S. Actually I have been able to manage by using the above suggestion with the F12 developer tool.

sewcat77,
The final version of IE10 was release for all win 7 users on February 26th, 2013. In all practical purposes, it is a new program. As such, it has become obvious that there are some glitches and bugs. I presume MS Team is aware of that.
Perhaps there will be patches or something like that coming in future Windows Updates.
If you can put up with it by using the F12 tool, perhaps you will put off the notion of uninstalling.

That said, if you really want to uninstall and revert back to IE9 (or your previous IE version), here is the step-by-step....

How to uninstall IE10 :
Start button > in the search box, type programs and features > Enter > left side, click View Installed Updates > scroll down to Microsoft Windows heading to find Windows Internet Explorer 10 > right click > click Uninstall.
Image%2033.jpg

Restart computer.
You should be back with your previous IE version.

Some unfinished business after uninstalling IE10....................
Set Windows Update to Manual :
IE10 will come up in Windows Update again, and it will be installed if Windows Update is set at Automatic.
To set Windows Update at Manual will give you option to install or not to install.
Start > in the search box, type windows update > press Enter > left side, click Change Settings > under Important Updates, click the pointer and change it to " Download updates but let me choose whether to install Them " > click OK when done.

You can use the tutorial below to "hide" the IE10 offering. That done, you won't see it in the Windows Updates anymore.
How to “ hide “ or “ restore “ hidden updates :
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24376-windows-update-hide-restore-hidden-updates.html

Hi David, thanks for your help. I am glad you mentioned to set the Windows Update to manual. I would not have thought to do it. I have come to the conclusion that I will hang on to IE 10 for a while. I have read on the Internet, that some users have uninstalled it and they still had problems. Meanwhile I will manage with the F12 button. Sewcat77

Back