Windows 7 IE8 favorites list has disappeared

JohnM

When I first installed Windows 7 a few days ago, the favorites list appeared exactly as it has always done in Vista. Suddenly though it has vanished, and the only way of accessing favourites is to use the drop-down menu in the menu bar. I've tried everthing I can think of to restore the favorites list, but without success. Anyone got any suggestions?

To restore the Favorites list in Windows 7, you can try the following steps:

1. Favorites Bar in Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Right-click on an empty area in the menu bar.
- Check the "Favorites Bar" option. This should display the Favorites bar under the address bar.

2. Restoring in Windows Explorer:
- Open Windows Explorer.
- In the navigation pane on the left, right-click on Favorites.
- Click on "Restore Favorite Links" to bring back the default Favorites like Desktop, Downloads, and Recent Places.

3. Checking Folder Options:
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Go to Organize > Folder and search options.
- In the General tab, ensure that "Show Favorites" is checked.

4. Reset Internet Explorer Settings:
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Go to Tools > Internet Options.
- In the Advanced tab, click on Reset to reset Internet Explorer settings. This can sometimes resolve display issues.

5. User Account Profile Issues:
- Sometimes corrupted user account profiles can affect the Favorites display. Consider creating a new user account to see if the issue persists there.

6. Update Windows 7:
- Make sure your Windows 7 installation is up to date with the latest updates and patches. Some updates might address display or navigation issues.

7. Third-Party Software Interference:
- If you have installed any third-party software that customizes Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer behavior, try disabling or uninstalling them temporarily to see if they are affecting the Favorites display.

By following these steps, you should be able to restore the Favorites list in Windows 7 and have it displayed as expected.

Back