Windows 7 IE8 vs IE7

Ed Dixon

I liked IE8 in Win7, so installed it in XP Pro. Had to remove it today as DigitalPersona finger print doesnt work in Ie8. So I installed Ie7 instead, which works fine. However it looks pretty much like IE8. What are major diffs here?

Ed

A quick google search found no work arounds wiht IE8. 7 is fine for now, while Win7 testing continues. IVe got Win7 ruinning in Virtual PC under XP, which is slow but easier to work with.

Ed

Drew is correct about the security enhancements in IE8, however, you can choose Tools Compatible Options to add sites that do not display properly. then choose Tools > Compatible View.

My nephew had places his company logo on a website as he participated in ABC's Extreme Maker over show,.

His graphic did not display in IE8, yet it worked fine in Firefox..

You might give Firefox 3.5 a try

Truthfully, as for Microsoft Accelerators, I turn them off, as I see this as just another attempt to push additional Microsoft apps on Windows users

I never had any problems really with either IE 7 or IE 8, I still use both quite a bit.. ;) But I have to admit, I've been using Google Chrome alot more these days.. Actually this site seems to work the best on Chrome lately.. It's still not working 100% of the time but certainly a lot more then it does in IE8 or Firefox.. :)

But as far browsers go, they all have their pros and cons.. ;)

how's the security on chrome? I use firefox, sometimes ieX different computers have different versions... but mainly firefox, I been meaning to look in to chrome, I use opera on my cell and it is the best for mobile devices....

I liked IE8 in Win7, so installed it in XP Pro. Had to remove it today as DigitalPersona finger print doesnt work in Ie8. So I installed Ie7 instead, which works fine. However it looks pretty much like IE8. What are major diffs here?

Ed

If IE8 does not support that, then IE 7 is the right choice. Perhaps you should have reinstalled or upgraded the DigitalPersona finger print driver to have it work with IE8.

As for the IE8 advantages, I think it has some. One remarkable visual advancment IE8 has is correct displaying of zoomed pages.

Anyway, with or without IE8, you can enjoy internet with other browsers.

Perhaps you should have reinstalled or upgraded the DigitalPersona finger print driver to have it work with IE8.

Oh I did all that to no avail. IE8 just wont work in XP with fingerprint stuff. Lots of posts on the web track this issue.

Ed

Well, don't regret it much, 'cause you can do well with other browsers. Or is there smth you particularly like in IE8 ?

IE7 is enough like IE8 that it meets the need. The tapped part at top is useful. IE8 works ok in W7, just not XP.

Ed

Yeah, the browsing part works fine in XP. Its the finger print recognition stuff that doesnt work with IE8 in XP. It does work in W7...for now. It also works fine in XP with IE7.

Ed

Yeah, the browsing part works fine in XP. Its the finger print recognition stuff that doesnt work with IE8 in XP. It does work in W7...for now. It also works fine in XP with IE7.

Ed

Did you try to contact both Microst and the device manufacturer to ask to fix the issue ? It sure will take time, but in a while you can get things working. For now, if yu can do without the fingerprint device until they fix it, use IE8 as it is.

Did you try to contact both Microst and the device manufacturer to ask to fix the issue ? It sure will take time, but in a while you can get things working. For now, if yu can do without the fingerprint device until they fix it, use IE8 as it is.

Google shows its a known issue with no current fix. IE7 + fingerprint is way more useful than IE8 w/o.

Ed

Back