Windows 7 If you are on Windows XP and planning to UPGRADE...

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
YOU MUST DO A CLEAN INSTALL. There is no upgrade path. There are user migration tools you can use, but you will need to backup your files and do a clean install. I have seen several threads about this and just want to clarify. The upgrade from Windows Vista is a valid upgrade path, but Windows XP to Windows 7 is not.

Terminology is confusing people.

So it would be useless to buy a Win7 upgrade disc if you have XP?

You can use the upgrade disc to replace XP with Windows 7, you just have to do a clean install.

There is a terminology conflict between Microsoft and common usage. Microsoft calls changing from an older to a newer operating system as an "upgrade" regardless of the specific procedure required. You may do an "in-place" upgrade, or you may do a "clean install" upgrade. Common usage only applies the term "upgrade" to an "in-place" upgrade. (You can perform an "in-place" upgrade from Vista to 7, but you must perform a "clean install" upgrade from XP to 7. Either of these operations can be performed from the Windows 7 upgrade disc.)

So, it is a true statement to say that you can upgrade from XP to Windows 7 with an upgrade disc, but you must do a "clean install" upgrade. You cannot, however upgrade from Windows 2000 or Windows 98 for instance to Windows 7, you would have to have a full version disc.

Not if you put in rc version of windows 7 correct? If you had windows 2000 and then put in the beta windows 7 you could still purchase the upgrade version and install. In fact now that I think about it if you put in a new hard drive you could still use the upgrade version and do a clean install

Question: Who would buy the full version except somebody that doesn't know the difference?:eek:

Well - - there MAY be "tricks" - - Maybe

Not if you put in rc version of windows 7 correct? If you had windows 2000 and then put in the beta windows 7 you could still purchase the upgrade version and install. In fact now that I think about it if you put in a new hard drive you could still use the upgrade version and do a clean install

Question: Who would buy the full version except somebody that doesn't know the difference?:eek:

I may be not clear on what would happen in this case. You can no longer download either beta or RC versions. I don't believe the beta version will activate now and I don't believe the RC version will activate after January 2010, however any RC versions already installed on the January date will continue to work until June 2010.

I have not tested this, but I believe that if you attempted to update ANYTHING with a beta DVD, you would get an "expired" error message. There may be "tricks" to get Windows 7 installed on certain "unauthorized" combinations, but there is no advertised upgrade path directly from 2000 to 7.

p.s. I like my installation of Windows 2000 and have no intentions of upgrading it to Windows 7 (or any other OS), so I cannot test your suggestion posed here.

Last edited:
Okay, I think that I understand. I am now running the Win7RC version. I have preordered the Win7 Home Premium Edition. Upon receipt of "New OS" i presume that i should slick my HDD and then install. Or do i just insert DVD in my drive and follow instructions for a "clean install"? I presume that it will be the same as other MS installs. best regards to all in the forum. cheers and beers.

Well stated Drew. Should put this next to the windows logo to eliminate this question which comes up over and over.

OK, so I currently have XP Pro (OEM) installed on one partition, and Win 7 RC on another. I've ordered Win 7 Pro Upgrade which I'm going to install over my current Win 7 install (which looks like it can't be converted to full?). So to perform the 'upgrade' and upgrade validation check which I assume it does, will it ask my for my XP key, disc or search for a previous installation?

Usually it will search for a previous installation. If it can't find one then it will ask you to place a windows os disk in the drive to validate. Once done it will then continue to upgrade..

Usually it will search for a previous installation. If it can't find one then it will ask you to place a windows os disk in the drive to validate. Once done it will then continue to upgrade..
My download upgrade didn't ask for an Windows OS disk. I was upgrading from XP, so I had to create an .iso from the download as it wouldn't run as-is. To clean install on a fresh HD I had to attach my old HD (via USB, as it happens) during installation so it saw I had a valid version of Windows. If I didn't do this, it wouldn't accept my product key, either at installation or trying to activate it once installed. However, proper DVD installers might be different.

Ok.. so you still had to validate though.. Thanks for updating your post though..:)

The upgrade disk and full version

You can use the upgrade version to install windows 7 when you have XPbut there IS NO EXCEPTION you HAVE to back up your files as it will erase all the files.

the reason they have the full versions of any operating system is for several special occasions that require it. For example a self built computer. But in most occasions if you are a person who will have Windows 7 from XP you only need to get the upgrade disk, it is 60-100 dollars cheaper! And who doesnt want to save money?

Hello. I've actually already used the upgrade disc to convert my laptop from XP Home to Windows 7. It took about 2 hours to complete the process, and it did completely remove XP from my hard drive.

The only real problem I had with all of this business, is that it also removed the drivers for some of my hardware, and I've had a heck of a time finding Windows 7 drivers for my Win XP machine. That's the trouble with a "Clean Install". It wipes out everything.

I am wondering that myself. I have never used the upgrade disk, and do not use XP, so cannot comment further.

Easy file transfer - not enough disk space.

I used Easy File Transfer and placed the files (3) on an external drive. After installing Windows 7 I was able to transfer two of the files from the Easy transfer disk, but the third file (350 Gb) continues to give me the message that there is not enough room on the destination computer. I have 250 Gb for the System hard drive and a 500 Gb for files, etc. The 250 Gb drive has about 100 Gb free. The 500 Gb is almost empty at this time. The 350 Gb file on the transfer drive won't let me see or change its content. What do I need to do to view/change/modify/download this file?:confused:

Windows 7 does not recognize drives on install

Hi, I am trying to do a clean install from XP to Windows 7 on a home built system with a ASROCK AliveNF6P-VSTA Mother board, Athlon 64 6000 X2 AM2 CPU, 2 Mg Ram and a SATA hard drive.

When I try to install Windows 7, it get to the install start up screen after a long delay (as much as 5 minutes), and when I click install, it says "Windows 7 can not identify any drives on this machine" and goes back to the install screen.

my SATA drive appears in the Bios, but I can not get past this point to install drivers or anything. :confused:

XP installs fine, having no problem finding the drives.

Please Help!

Make sure the drive is configured for IDE in the bios, then boot from the 7 disk (change the boot order to CD first).
You then need to choose a 'custom' install which will get you to a screen where it says 'install drivers' in the left hand corner. You'll need to have these drivers loaded up on either a floppy, USB drive or a DVD/CD. Browse to where the drivers are located and install. The installation will then continue..
To obtain said drivers, try the motherboard manufaturers web site..

make sure drive is basic, not dynamic.

If you are doing a clean install I assume you have formatted your hard drive. also make sure the formated drive is set to basic, not dynamic as Windows 7 doesn't seem to recognize dynamic drives for the installation.

So i'm trying to install 32 bit on my old xp computer. I've followed the steps to a T and everything checks out. I insert the disk and nothing. I go to my dvd drive which the win7 dvd is in and it appears blank. At first i thought great they gave me an empty disk so i popped it into my work computer and the disk comes alive and wants me to upgrade to win7. Has anybody else run into this problem?

Back