Windows 7 Incorrect "not Genuine" message

MajorModeler

Greetings,
I had been running Windows 7 on an eMachine system for a few years.
I bought a new Dell system with Windows 7.
I used a backup program that allowed me to move everything from the eMachine to the new Dell system without having to re-install everything.
I have been running for several months just fine.
yesterday I started the program WinPatrol and at the same time I got a message that I might be running a not genuine copy of Windows 7. It had an eMachine signature on it, on one of the windows.
So, a couple of questions -
1. How do I get the system to acknowledge that the copy of Windows is genuine?
2. How do I get rid of the notifier that is constantly on mu desktop? and
3. How do I make sure that whatever program ran to generate the message will never run again / be removed?

A good question and one with no one, single, good answer.
I suppose you / we should start with answering a question.
What "backup" program did you use and what means did that program use that
allowed me to move everything from the eMachine to the new Dell system without having to re-install everything.
Then you should probably determine what Product ID you are actually using on the problem machine and compare it to the COA which should be present somewhere on the outside of the Dell.
That particular product ID is the one that should be associated with the installation on that machine.
So if the "backup" program was used to clone or otherwise image the eMachine system and that Product ID is present on the Dell then that is likely the nexus of your issue and you will need to resolve that.

Last edited:
A good question and one with no one, single, good answer.
I suppose you / we should start with answering a question.
What "backup" program did you use and what means did that program use that

Then you should probably determine what Product ID you are actually using on the problem machine and compare it to the COA which should be present somewhere on the outside of the Dell.
That particular product ID is the one that should be associated with the installation on that machine.
So if the "backup" program was used to clone or otherwise image the eMachine system and that Product ID is present on the Dell then that is likely the nexus of your issue and you will need to resolve that.

I used Acronis 2014, which did a good job after I got the drivers for Dell from Dell.
I was afraid of that - the business of trying to get the codes to line up correctly. I am also concerned that there may be some eMachines software that runs in the background, hidden, that will fuss since it will determine it is no longer running on an eMachine.

So..... I'm guessing, but either a clone or a complete image restore using Acronis?
Assuming that the Windows 7 Product Key located on the COA on the outside of the Dell is for the actual Version of Windows 7 that resides on the disk (Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate, etc.,) then all may not be lost.

If you are getting the Genuine Advantage alert, then it's a safe bet if you check "Computer"-> "Properties", down near the bottom you may see that there is a problem regarding "Activation"?? maybe..
There should be a link there "Change product key".
Again, assuming that the version product key on the COA is the same as the installed version, you should be able to enter that product key (change) and then go through the activation process. It will likely involve a phone call to the automated system but hopefully it may set things straight.

Regarding any eMachine bloatware that may be running you should be able to ferret that out using Task Manager and then the Programs and Features applet in the control panel combined with services.msc

I will say that I'm a bit surprised that the machine even runs at all if it is actually running with a clone or an image of the eMachine disk. The underlying hardware must be very similar.

So..... I'm guessing, but either a clone or a complete image restore using Acronis?
Assuming that the Windows 7 Product Key located on the COA on the outside of the Dell is for the actual Version of Windows 7 that resides on the disk (Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate, etc.,) then all may not be lost.

If you are getting the Genuine Advantage alert, then it's a safe bet if you check "Computer"-> "Properties", down near the bottom you may see that there is a problem regarding "Activation"?? maybe..
There should be a link there "Change product key".
Again, assuming that the version product key on the COA is the same as the installed version, you should be able to enter that product key (change) and then go through the activation process. It will likely involve a phone call to the automated system but hopefully it may set things straight.

Regarding any eMachine bloatware that may be running you should be able to ferret that out using Task Manager and then the Programs and Features applet in the control panel combined with services.msc

I will say that I'm a bit surprised that the machine even runs at all if it is actually running with a clone or an image of the eMachine disk. The underlying hardware must be very similar.

Yes, it was a complete clone / image. I am not sure how to tell the difference, if there really is one, except for the terms..
Yes, there is a Change Key selection in the Computer properties window. And I do have the key for the Win 7 disc provided by Dell. However, it is the Win 7 from the eMachine that is running on the Dell. It is even a different level? of Win7.

There is nothing special in the processes of the task manager, so I will have to dive deeper. There are a bunch of eMachine entries in the registry. But I am a bit leery of just deleting all those keys.

The machines are different. no PS connectors for the keyboard & mouse, 4 cores instead of 2, Intel vs AMD

Amazing. I would have thought it practically impossible to go from Intel to AMD or AMD to Intel, I would have thought that the difference in the chipset alone would have produced problem in the Hardware Abstraction Level and resulted in Blue Screens galore.
If the version of Windows 7 is different then you are probably out of luck from a purely legal standpoint as you were already on shaky ground in so far as both Product Keys are likely OEM and as such are locked to the machine they are installed on.

A complete clean install at this point may very well be your only recourse.

Amazing. I would have thought it practically impossible to go from Intel to AMD or AMD to Intel, I would have thought that the difference in the chipset alone would have produced problem in the Hardware Abstraction Level and resulted in Blue Screens galore.
If the version of Windows 7 is different then you are probably out of luck from a purely legal standpoint as you were already on shaky ground in so far as both Product Keys are likely OEM and as such are locked to the machine they are installed on.

A complete clean install at this point may very well be your only recourse.

Bummer!!
That is why I went with the clone business - I have way too many programs and customizations to even want to do a re-install. I will mess around a bit and see what I can get done. The only reason I really care is that I do want the M$ security updates.
Maybe I will have to go try to drag the eMachine back from the re-cycler.

1. How do I get the system to acknowledge that the copy of Windows is genuine?
Do you make an update before this? Where did you get the key?

2. How do I get rid of the notifier that is constantly on mu desktop? and
Activate it with a genuine key.

3. How do I make sure that whatever program ran to generate the message will never run again / be removed?
from my knowledge, maybe the auto-updates.

Back
Top Bottom