Windows 7 Infinite BSOD leading absolutely nowhere, now it is back to working...

AndyAndyAndy

I was working on the PC and I got BSOD.

I restarted PC and as soon as Windows 7 loading logo would go away I would get BSOD. I tried Repair mode (also went to BSOB). I tried safe mode (also went to BSOD). I tried everything multiple times and I would be getting BSOB, not even able to get into Windows.

I opened case, take out RAM, CPU...I didn't see anything wrong (like burning motherboard, lol). And put everything back together. And it started at first try.

Since this is my only PC and it is used for work I'm now very worried what it was about.

How could I diagnose or tell what was/is going on?

----------------------

All BSOB were generic, only once or twice I caught that it was PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, but other BSOD were without any error message.

----------------------

Windows\Minidump folder is empty (although I have enabled it in settings)

Last edited:
Hi,

usually a bsod is down to a driver or app.

If you've made any recent changes like new hardware, driver, application then try reversing whatever you did and see if it stops.

Also if you read the BSOD thread sticky you'll find a handy app and info on what we need from you. (in order to diagnose the issue.

Hi,

usually a bsod is down to a driver or app.

If you've made any recent changes like new hardware, driver, application then try reversing whatever you did and see if it stops.

Also if you read the BSOD thread sticky you'll find a handy app and info on what we need from you. (in order to diagnose the issue.

Attachments

• W7F_30-11-2020.rar
    769.2 KB · Views: 226
Hi,
thanks for the upload.

No actual dump file ( created at time of bsod ) was present which may mean your system isn't configured to produce them.

Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

If you follow the above then next time you get a bsod we should get a record in the form of a dump file.

Hi,
thanks for the upload.

No actual dump file ( created at time of bsod ) was present which may mean your system isn't configured to produce them.

Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

If you follow the above then next time you get a bsod we should get a record in the form of a dump file.

Unfortunately like I said in initial post "Windows\Minidump folder is empty (although I have enabled it in settings)". Blue screen always freeze. If I remember correctly it was just saying "Collecting data for crash dump...." or some similar message and it was doing absolutely nothing for 10+ minutes, when I just pull the plug.

Hmm... When the bsod occurs are you doing anything in particular?

Sometimes Anti virus apps can cause PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, are you running anything in particular?

Find command prompt in the start menu, right click and run as admin
Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

Check your HDD by running a chkdsk:
How to Fix Hard Drive Problems with Chkdsk in Windows 7, 8, and 10

Back