Windows 7 "insert boot disk" upon power-up

theguy0075

When I power-up or wake up my laptop from hibernating Windows doesn't load and it asks for the boot disk, I used Daemon tools to install OS. It asks for the boot disk to be entered and to press enter. Since I don't have a boot disk I just power-off then on and Windows boots fine. For now I've set it to never hibernate and expect to turn on my system twice when I want to use it. I'm concerned that constantly powering-off in this manner could cause hard disk errors, aside from being annoying. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. My laptop is an ASUS F6A-X2 with an Intel T5800 64-bit processor. Thanks

To resolve the issue where Windows asks for a boot disk when waking from hibernation on your ASUS laptop, follow these steps:

1. Disable Hibernation and Sleep Modes:
- Try disabling hibernation and sleep modes temporarily to see if the issue persists. You can do this by adjusting power settings in the Control Panel.

2. Check Boot Order:
- Go into your BIOS settings and ensure that the boot order is correct, with the internal hard drive set as the first boot device.

3. Update Drivers and Firmware:
- Update your laptop's drivers, especially the chipset and storage controller drivers, to the latest versions provided by ASUS on their website. Firmware updates for your storage drive could also be beneficial.

4. Run Disk Check:
- Use the Windows built-in tool, CHKDSK, to check for and repair any disk errors that may be causing boot issues.

5. Disable Daemon Tools Temporarily:
- Since you used Daemon Tools to install the OS, it might be causing conflicts with hibernation. Disable or uninstall Daemon Tools to check if it's the root of the problem.

6. Check System Integrity:
- Open a Command Prompt as an administrator and run the System File Checker tool by typing sfc /scannow to check for and repair any corrupted system files.

7. Verify Hard Drive Health:
- Use a third-party tool like CrystalDiskInfo to check the health of your hard drive and ensure there are no imminent hardware issues.

8. Recreate Hibernation File:
- Disable and re-enable hibernation to recreate the hiberfil.sys file. Open Command Prompt as administrator and run the command powercfg -h off to disable hibernation and powercfg -h on to re-enable it.

By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot the issue with booting from hibernation on your ASUS laptop efficiently.

Back