Windows 8 Inspiron 5010 heat

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Would the temps in the attachment seem ok?

Attachments

• temp.png
    temp.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 386
They don't look too bad but really you need to check what the temps are like when the machine is being used heavily like gaming for example. If you do a search via google I would hazard that there's information out there on the running temps of an inspiron 5010 maybe a dedicated forum?

I did a little checking and it does look like these lappies get a tad warm when heavily used. See this link here which also has links for a Dell thermal diagnostic test:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19374534.aspx

Your temps don't look bad. But you may want to make sure that your vents are clean and air can circulate well. Are those idle temps?
Here's my idle temp:

IMAG3814 [1600x1200].jpg

That looks about like my HP in hot weather. Some of these PC aren't well laid out for ventilation. Some clipsets and video cards also tend to run on the warm side. Keeping them clean is important!
Joe

I certainly appreciate all the replies.
My readings were after we used the pc for a couple of hours, surfing and emailing and we do no gaming at all.
I think it is clear that Dell has goofed again. Wasn't it about 5 years ago they were actually burning pcs and by putting desktop processers in laptops and had a large recall? There was not enough room for the heat sinks.
I will keep it clean and always use a solid surface to use it on so no dust is inhaled. The ventilation system is not very good as I ascertained from the links you sent me and thank you or that.
if it gets worse there is a great YouTube video as to how to clean it and apply Arctic Silver to the cpu and gpu.
Between Dell and M$ I am busy trying to keep the machines up to speed.
Sad to hear about the poor ventilation but the warranty has expired.
If I go over the 50's the number , like 60 or 61 appears in red as a warning. I use Speccy and so far the numbers are not red.

As long you keep the maintenance up as you are doing then it's just a case of being aware of it I guess. You could, if things got really toasty, invest in a cooling pad but I'm not sure how effective those are.

I agree and the ones i looked didn't seem to comfortable. We use a tempered glass cutting board and it works well allowing for ventilation but nothing else like dust. It is comfortable and strong too.

I agree and the ones i looked didn't seem to comfortable. We use a tempered glass cutting board and it works well allowing for ventilation but nothing else like dust. It is comfortable and strong too.
cooling pads are very effective. I have the very basic rectangular one that has 2 fans that sucks hot air in and then blows it out on all 4-sides of the pad. The only thing that cooling pads do is not to make you laptop cool but only prevent it from getting hot by raising the bottom of the laptop for better air movement and inducing air circulation around the laptop area and push hot air away. Don't get the fancy foldable ones. Just the basic pad that works.

So yours basically moves hot air around bur basically raises the pc so there is better air flow.
I am concerned that the power to run the fans would more quickly deplete the battery.
How much of a difference did yours make with and without the pad -the battery that is?

So yours basically moves hot air around bur basically raises the pc so there is better air flow.
I am concerned that the power to run the fans would more quickly deplete the battery.
How much of a difference did yours make with and without the pad -the battery that is?

Oh yeah, that would be an issue for some people. If you are on the go, you don't want to use the cooling pad. But if you are on a desk, you can use any USB phone charger to run your cooling pad or keep your laptop plugged in to the outlet while your cooling pad is on one of the USB ports.

Back