Windows 10 Install 2nd instance of Win 10 temporarily

ataribravo

I have Windows 10 Pro (just shy of licensed) installed on a 970 Plus M.2 drive (see all specs in signature). The PC is not running at the speed I would have expected (for instance my Random Read/Write values are pitiful (see attachment). I either have my BIOS incorrectly set up, too much junk installed/uninstalled or the Windows gods are punishing me for a non-licensed copy (but read on, I'm going legit).

I just installed another 970 Plus 1TB drive and want to put a fresh install with a fully licensed copy of Windows 10 Pro on it and be able to boot off either one until I am comfortable that I have installed all the software that I want, and then I will format the first drive for data use.

I have read that if the current boot drive (Drive 1) is active when I boot off the Win DVD to format and install the new OS on Drive 2, they will somehow be connected so Windows can auto-enable dual booting. And, that if I format Drive 1 later, Drive 2 will no longer function since it had dependency on Drive 1. Does that make sense?

Is there a way to disable a single m.2 slot (in Device Manager perhaps or BIOS)?

Is there a better way to approach this? I mostly just don't want to be "down" while I'm starting over. I want the option to boot off the old drive as needed the run things until I have the new drive ready to go.

Thanks in advance for everyone's time and consideration.

Attachments

• Magician.jpg
    Magician.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Well technically you have two options. Leaving the first disk in while installing will use the same boot loader on the first disk which would then require editing the BCD store with either bcdedit.exe or some other 3rd party tool. Option two (much easier) would be unplug/remove the first disk and install Windows 10. You should then have two bootloaders and two Windows installs. Using the firmware boot menu you should then be able to select which disk you want the computer should boot from.

Well technically you have two options. Leaving the first disk in while installing will use the same boot loader on the first disk which would then require editing the BCD store with either bcdedit.exe or some other 3rd party tool. Option two (much easier) would be unplug/remove the first disk and install Windows 10. You should then have two bootloaders and two Windows installs. Using the firmware boot menu you should then be able to select which disk you want the computer should boot from.
That's what I was reading. I was hoping there was a way to just disable Drive 1 somehow, because to remove it would require me to remove the CPU cooler to gain access and I was hoping to avoid that. But thank you for the confirmation!

Back