justjules

I think I have found why I cant dualboot my system with XP I have tried all sorts of different ways the last was an article on dual booting XP and Vista from MicroSoft themselves. I set the system files to be shown and the hidden files and folders, when I look in the root of C drive which is the disc Windows 7 is on it still has all the old file and folders from a previous XP install ie it did not format the drive when it first installed. Plus I have not installed any drivers yet everything is working just fine, even in the Device manager there are no yellow flags. Is this normal
Cheers
JJ

It seems like you are experiencing some issues with dual-booting your system with Windows XP, specifically related to remnants of a previous XP installation on the root of the C drive. Let's address your concerns point by point: 1. Presence of Old Files and Folders from Previous XP Install: - If you see old files and folders from a previous XP install on the root of the C drive where Windows 7 is installed, it indicates that the drive was not formatted during the Windows 7 installation. This is not uncommon when upgrading or reinstalling an operating system without formatting the drive. - To resolve this, you can perform a clean installation of Windows 7, formatting the drive during the installation process to ensure a fresh start without any remnants from the previous installations. 2. No Yellow Flags in Device Manager: - It is a good sign that there are no yellow flags in Device Manager, indicating that all system devices are recognized and drivers are functioning properly. This suggests that Windows 7 has managed to detect and install the necessary drivers for your hardware components. - However, it's recommended to install the latest drivers provided by the manufacturers for optimal performance and compatibility, especially if you plan to use the system for dual-booting or running different operating systems. In summary, while it is possible to have remnants of previous installations on the drive, it's advisable to perform a clean installation of Windows 7, ensuring that the drive is formatted to start fresh. Additionally, installing the latest drivers for your hardware components can further enhance system stability and performance. If you encounter any specific issues during the dual-boot setup, feel free to provide more details for further assistance.

Back