Install W7 on new hard drive and make existing hard drive slave

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by delvis, Oct 20, 2009.

1. delvis

delvis New Member

Hey there. I'm thinking I'm going to purchase a new hard drive to Install Windows 7 on. My idea is to simply swap the jumpers on my existing primary hard drive to make it a slave drive and not worry about backing up my existing data.

Seems simple enough, which makes it scary that I can't find anyone else doing this. Anyone have experience with doing anything like this or have any insight onto potential/obvious disasters I might run into?

Any info is much appreciated. Cheers!

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

If you are using a full version to install from, I would probably unplug the second drive until after Win 7 was installed.

If you are trying to use an upgrade version, I don't know if you can use an installed OS from a different partition than the install partition. I have not seen an install ask where the qualifying OS is located, but I haven't tried doing it your way. Let us know how it works if this is your intention.

3. delvis

delvis New Member

Hmm... Hadn't even thought of the upgrade route. I'm going to ahead with the full install. If you haven't heard back from me in a couple days, we'll know it didn't work. :)

4. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

To be clear, upgrade version means the DVD version, not how you are installing.