Windows 7 Install Win7 from upgrade CD to a NEW Hard Drive?

wiznot

I would like to install Win 7 to a new Hard Drive. I have the Win7 Upgrade CD. I have XP running on an old HD that came with the original PC.

Can anyone please help me and tell me how I can do this?

Have a look HERE

Boot the computer from your Windows 7 installation DVD. <----My computer will not boot from CD. Yes I have set boot from CD as "1" in the BIOS. It gives the error no boot sector on internal HD. Even after I choose boot from CD drive.

Any advice?

You may have missed the message that appears on the top left on your screen after starting the boot that says:" For booting from CD, hit any key". - or something like that.

You may have missed the message that appears on the top left on your screen after starting the boot that says:" For booting from CD, hit any key". - or something like that.

I don't believe so. I pressed F12 till I got this msg:
IM1.jpg

Then I pressed enter. (This should allow it to boot from CD -- right?). It does not. Instead I get this message no matter what I do.

IM2.jpg

I am using Win7 Upgrade disk. It is a 2 disk kit.
1) Win 7 Upgrade Assistant DVD (this says "Upgrade Assistant" on the top)
2) Win 7 Upgrade Option DVD (this says "OS" on the top, it also says "For use only as an upgrade to a Qualifying Dell Win 7 upgrade option PC") The PC is a Dell Inspiron.

Instructions that came with the CD kit says to start with DVD 1. Also just to be clear, I have installed a brand new Hard Drive in the PC. It has nothing on it. The old HD with Win XP on it was too small in capacity.

If I choose CD 2 here is what happens (Windows Boot Mgr Screen):
IM3.jpg

then....
IM4.jpg

Hit enter and I get Windows Boot Mgr Screen back...

Last edited:
Hmm, in principle that should work even with an upgrade disc - but I am not 100% sure since I have never used such a disc.

Back