Windows 8 Installation files cannot extract

GeorgeNidri

So this morning I installed windows 8.1 on a machine that previously ran windows 7. Everything ran fine until I started installing programs. Every setup file I run fails to extract installation files and gives me an error. I tried running them as administrator but still, the same exact error. I am pretty convinced that they don't have permission.

Any help?

Thanks in advance...

Hi George,
can you post what machine you are using please.

What are the apps you were trying to install? If are for older os then try running them in compatibility mode. You'll need to right click the start up exe, click properties and then compatibility.

Well, had no luck with that.. :(

One file came with an error saying that it had no permission to write in some folder.. Can that be the case for all of them?

At first I tried some printer drivers and they failed. Then I tried to install 3 steam games, 2 installed fine but one failed. After that I tried comodo dragon av, and as this failed I tried avira and I had no luck either.

Some of the things that can stop a program from installing can be:
  • Your computer has too many temporary files
  • The installer file is corrupted
  • You do not have administrative privileges to install the program
  • The computer is infected with malware
Are you sure you using the correct programs meaning for either 32 or 64bit?

Try checking your machine over with the free version of this app:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Well, first, can you explain what you mean with "your computer has too many temporary files"?

Secondly, I tried running the same files on an other pc and it worked like a charm.

I am the only user on the pc and I am the administrator, is it a chance that installation files require more than just being the administrator?

Issues showed up just right after a clean install of windows, in fact my second program failed to install with the first being chrome which installed just fine. I doubt it's malware infection causing the issue.

Perhaps it would help if you posted your specs.. I know you said it was a desktop but what exactly? Please list as fully as possible.

Have you run any basic tests to determine if the hardware is ok?

I ran the one test you sent me the other day.

As for the specs, I have:

MOBO:Gigabyte ultra durable GA-Z77MX-D3H

CPU: Intel core i5-3470k

GPU: nvidia gtx 650 2gb

HDD:Western Digital Caviar Blue 1tb and Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb

SSD: Kingston hyperx 3k 120gb

And a samsung dvd r/w. Is there anything I'm missing?

Last edited:
It's about 30-35% full, and yes I'm in AHCI mode.

As for the firmware I don't quite know because I didn't find any firmware updates on kingston's site.

As an update I wanted to say that with any programs that I'm installing now I have not come across any further issues, however the ones that used to fail are still failing.

Hi George,
I did a little checking myself and did find firmware relating to the HyperX series:
http://www.kingston.com/en/support/technical/products?model=SH103S3

As to whether this will prove to be a solution remains to be seen but I would install the update anyway.

Ok so if I follow what you've posted above then apps are now installing without issue although the original apps still refuse to work correctly... Yes?
Could it be that the applications that refuse to work properly are in some way corrupted?

Thanks, I did the update, I will check If anything gets fixed.

This is true, I have not any issues right now but I will look for any.

Unfortunately, after the update I still could not install the specific apps that failed. And yes, I also now think that the files may have been corrupted, it may have just been a coincidence that some apps refused to extract. I managed to install my printer drivers by extracting the files with 7-zip so, there's that.

Thanks for your time, If I come across any further errors I will keep you updated. :)

Back