Windows 7 Installations, on D and C. Help get rid of one.

Benellard

Mistakenly installed Win7 on free space on D: Installed a second time on C: Now I can't tell which one is booting and I cannot delete Windows files on D; due to permissions. Is there a way to get my space back on D: and be sure that I'm booting from C:?

Mistakenly installed Win7 on free space on D: Installed a second time on C: Now I can't tell which one is booting and I cannot delete Windows files on D; due to permissions. Is there a way to get my space back on D: and be sure that I'm booting from C:?

Yeay... reistall and remove all partitions first. If you have two drives.. simply unplug the one and then you know which one is booting.

1. Boot the installation DVD
2. When it asks to select on which partition to install, format Partition 1 (that is D)
3. Quit the installation

Boot Installation Manager:

Partition 0 - C
Partition 1 - D
Partition 2 - E
Partition 3 - F

and so on.

1. Boot the installation DVD
2. When it asks to select on which partition to install, format Partition 1 (that is D)
3. Quit the installation

Boot Installation Manager:

Partition 0 - C
Partition 1 - D
Partition 2 - E
Partition 3 - F

and so on.

Only if you have one drive. If you have 2 drives they may or may not be where you expect them because the bios boot priority will NOT re-arrange the system priority when you boot to a dvd... to the sequence you are familiar with.
D drive can become C drive and vice-versa.

You have only two ways to be sure you have this right... or else you have a 50/50 chance of destroying your data forever.

1. The ONLY reliable way is to unplug the power to the drive you do not want to install to.

2. When the install disk boots press shift + F10 and go to the command prompt and type dir c: and dir d: and compare free space and or directory structure to determine for sure which drive you want to install to.

Back
Top Bottom