Windows Vista Installing Vista upgrade disc on new HD

olflier

Hi all,
My first post. I have not been able to find a previous thread about this, there may be a reason for that, but here goes.
I currently have XP installed, but want to finally install my Vista Home Preimum upgrade that I got a little over a year ago. I don't want to loose the XP in case there is a problem and I also want to go to a larger HD 500G vs 320G, so HD is enroute from Newegg.
The big question: can I install Vista with this upgrade disc without installing XP on my new HD, I would like to save some time, but don't want to unnecessarily create any problems.
Thanks,
Larry

Hi all,
My first post. I have not been able to find a previous thread about this, there may be a reason for that, but here goes.
I currently have XP installed, but want to finally install my Vista Home Preimum upgrade that I got a little over a year ago. I don't want to loose the XP in case there is a problem and I also want to go to a larger HD 500G vs 320G, so HD is enroute from Newegg.
The big question: can I install Vista with this upgrade disc without installing XP on my new HD, I would like to save some time, but don't want to unnecessarily create any problems.
Thanks,
Larry

Welcome to the forum...:)
You should be fine, just set the boot menu to boot from disk and then put your upgrade disk in the drive. It will say searching for previous versions of windows (which obviously it won't find because it's a new HDD). When it can't find any other versions on the drive it will ask you to put your original windows version in the drive just for verification (it is after all an upgrade) once thats done the install should continue as normal..

Hey thanks guys,
I'm gonna try your suggestion kemical, I had heard that some kind of run-a-round was possible. If install is successful, I know I will have more questions!
Thanks,
Larry

I have recently upgraded my desktop to Vista. But as I am neither a very tech savvy nor a computer literate I have taken help from Link Removed - Invalid URL. The staffs out there helped me a lot to install it properly on my pc. They even ensure that I will not face any problem after the upgrading process gets over. I found them quite skilled and helpful to solve any tricky issue or answer any question. I think they will be able to answer all your questions and guide you properly if you get in touch with them.

I think Dover you missed the point, people write in to the forums because they don't want to pay. Maybe you should call in and help a few people in an area of expertise you might have. Hey, that's a good idea maybe we should have a donate sign.

Back