Windows 10 Installing win 10 on a new PC

Einstijn

Hello, I have a question
I'm going to buy a PC without any OS.
I have an old laptop which runs win 7 and I've signed up for the free upgrade to win 10.
I read somewhere that it's possible to download windows 10 from that free upgrade to my laptop, then put it on a USB. Then put the USB in my PC without OS and install that win 10 from the free upgrade on my new PC.
I wonder if this is possible? And if it's possible, do I have to fill in the product key of my old laptop's windows 7 at the installation?
Thank you for your help.

No the WX key will only work on that same system... if your old w7 key is a retail you may be able to use that but a ome key will not move over.

On the up side a w7 or w8 or w8.1 can all be upgraded to 10 so you should be able to shop around for one of them at a price tag under $50... w7 and 8.1 are less mucking about than 8 but if this new machine is indead NEW then you won't have a major stress.

Good luck with it.

An oem (other equipment manufacture) refers to an operating system which was supplied with the pc and may not be transferred to another. A "retail" version is one where the op sys has been bought separately and may be transferred along with its key to another machine.

Back