Windows 10 Installing win10 on my new computer using UEFI & USB stick

patchie

My setup: I have just upgraded most of the parts in my computer(desktop), this includes the motherboard which supports UEFI.

My image: I got an win10 image from a friend of mine, which he knows should work.

What i have tried:
1. I have tried to install the .iso file on the USB stick using "Unetbootin" and "Rufus 3.1", using several different configs.
rufus.PNG

2. I have turned off CSM and legacy in UEFI, to make sure i setup using the correct UEFI settings

3. When i boot, and select F11, i can then select the usb device with name "UEFI:.......", so it actually recognices that its a UEFI device. You can also see by the content that it also has a .efi file on the usb stick.
efi file.PNG

4. Then i can see the windows logo(without the dots underneath). And it seems to read from the usb for like 10 seconds, and then everything stops and nothing happens.
windows logo.PNG <-- just hangs like this.​

Debugging:
- I tried to check for errors using the windows 7 "error checking" tool. Didn't find any bad sectors.
- I tried to run the same iso on my laptop just to make sure the usb stick works, and this is how it looks on my laptop:
As you can see here, the windows logo appears, then the dots underneath appears.​

Any idea what i should do next? Do i need to fix some bios/UEFI settings?

The "spinning dots" is the when the boot.wim file is loaded into memory. That's basically the win PE environment to launch the installer from. I'd say you probably have a mismatch between how the system is booting and the format of the USB drive. In otherwords it can't find or load the PE environment. So just make sure the BIOS/UEFI and the same. Either CSM/Legacy (BIOS) USB MBR or BIOS set to UEFI and the USB is created as GPT

Would alos help if you got the iso using media creation tool from Microsoft as that iso is not behaving as it should within rufus

Back
Top Bottom