Installing Win7 from usb loading files stuck

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by Jack Porath, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Jack Porath

Jack Porath New Member

Hello,
    My disk drive isn't compatible with my new mobo, so i've decided to go the flash drive installation route. I had to install an iso from the interwebs to use in the windows usb/dvd tool they have to offer to make a bootable drive. when using the drive to boot windows, I immediately get stuck at the "windows is loading files..." screen. each time I try to boot, different progress is displayed per try, but no progress is made. I suspect several problems with the scenario, but need to reach out to more experienced people, for this is my 1st build. Bad iso, or bad ram. and regarding the iso, I try to use my OEM install disk to turn that into an iso, but each software I have tried does not recognize the disk. Your time is greatly appreciated, i've been at this for a week now, and frustration is pretty high
    (Note: I am using an XP 32 bit os to do this process, because I hear this has an impact on the bootable drive, and I have tried switching the ram around in several slots of the mobo)

#1 Jack Porath, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. Josephur

Josephur Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

Start with re-creating the bootable USB drive, see if it just did not create properly. From there I would run a memory test.

3. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Could you tell us exactly how you are creating the bootable flash drive?

The system stops at the loading files dialog, it could be memory since the install uses a RamDisk to hold the files.

If your DVD drive is not compatible, you could get a new one for not that much money. Even if you get the install to work, the DVD may still cause problems.