Windows 10 Installing Windows 10 from ISO file on a Ubuntu

RPT

Hey guys,

So I have Ubuntu on my PC, I tried it and I don't like it. My PC was originally windows. I downloaded the ISO file, so how can I install it and replace Ubuntu?

From Ubuntu you can format a flash drive as NTFS with gparted and make sure to set the boot flag on it. Then just copy the content from the ISO to the usb and boot to it. Then install.

From Ubuntu you can format a flash drive as NTFS with gparted and make sure to set the boot flag on it. Then just copy the content from the ISO to the usb and boot to it. Then install.

That didn't work, any other methods?

Elaborate on "didn't work" does the computer not detect the usb? Are you booting the computer UEFI or legacy is the flash drive formatted as GPT or MBR?

Elaborate on "didn't work" does the computer not detect the usb? Are you booting the computer UEFI or legacy is the flash drive formatted as GPT or MBR?

The program ran and installed on the USB, I went to boot and it went to Ubuntu

You'll want to go in BIOS and see how the computer is booting either UEFI or legacy. If the flash drive is, for example formatted for legacy (MBR) and your system is only booting UEFI it will never be able to boot from the flash drive.

Because W10 can have difficulty overwriting the Ubuntu drive format, you may have to do a "drive-wipe" of your hard drive before it will accept a new W10 install from USB or DVD. I recommend you use DBAN for this, and the free version from UBCD.com will do just fine. It's the same basic wipe used by DoD without all the advanced encryption. Make sure you check that if you have UEFI BIOS, that it is disabled AND also that if you have a legacy boot option in your BIOS and it's set to SECURE, you have to disable that as well in order to boot from a USB drive. You should also attempt to boot your W10 boot USB on a different working windows computer (can be Vista-W10) and check that it indeed comes up to the W10 install program. If it doesn't do this on a different computer, then either the W10 source ISO file you used was bad (did you download directly from the Microsoft website or 3rd party such as uTorrent?)? Or your USB drive is bad or wrongly formatted. Just remember that when testing your USB W10 drive on a 2nd computer, to exit out after the 1st install screen so you don't inadvertently overlay W10 on an older windows PC such as W7 or W8.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Ultimately, you'll use THIS .
Next, in Ubuntu, there is a repository on this Rufus
((
$ git clone git://github.com/pbatard/rufus
)) (without parenthesis)

then create a bootable USB drive using the Windows 10 .ISO you have as @Neemobeer stated above in NTFS.

* I'd Highly recommend installing Windows 10 via UEFI and check smart boot.

rufus_en.png

Back