Windows 8 Installing Windows 8 next month...

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I'm still running Windows 8 release 8250 in a dual boot setup with Windows 7.

Next month I will install the final version of 8 when it becomes available.

What I would like to do is start the install from within Windows 7 so that it replaces it, and leaves my present Windows 8 install intact until I have everything up and running in the new one, with all my software installed and working.

Then I'll remove the original Windows 8 install and be back to one OS.
I'll then install Ubuntu where Windows 8 beta is now.

Doesn't anyone think that leaving the beta version of Windows 8 in during the upgrade of Windows 7 could cause any problems?

Should I use EasyBCD to remove it from the boot sequence before I upgrade 7?
I just thought of that.

Is anyone else planning on installing 8 while leaving their present one in place.

I just hate to delete a whole drive and then discover that I needed things on it that I didn't think of at the time.

I'm not really looking forward to this, I have over 100 applications that will have to be reinstalled.

It will take days and I'd like to be able to preserve a complete working OS while I'm doing it.
If for nothing more then reference as to how I have things set up now.

After next month I expect this forum to get a lot busier there are going to be a lot more people with questions.

Mike

Apart from frequent images (Acronis) I also have a complete, and frequent, copy, to a safe place, of all the relevant, and possibly changing, folders under "username". (Favourites:My private files: Pictures etc.)
Like most, I have plenty of space, so I always start with a dual boot install. It matters not, to me, whether this is on a created partition or another hard disk. A quick check of the new installation, and I then customise the more common aspects, to my own taste. First thing then is to create another image for future use.
I install all my software. - Not such a big task as yours! I have (just counted), 39 regular third party programs. It takes about 4 dedicated hours to get through. After customising each of these programs.where needed - another image.
I usually run the new installation for a few days before considering anything else. If it is a legacy OS, then it may stay for a long time. I still have Windows 7, for example, in a dual boot, as I refer to it when I visit Windows 7 forums. This will be coming off when, as you surmise, next months release to the public hits the shelves, and the 8 forums pick up.
EasyBCD is a must for me, but, of course, you can remove the dual boot with MsConfig also. Only thing to be careful with, is where exactly your new boot manager is placed. Even this can quickly be sorted with the repair function of the installation DVD.
Even after those precautions, I sometimes overlook something that I needed. I did this, originall, quite a bit with my old Email, but since I learned that lesson, I now have a separate folder, on a safe partition, for my mail.
Your question in the middle of your post! I cannot think of any problems that a dual boot would cause, but, personally, I am cautious of upgrades. I have never been in a position where I needed it, and always do a format and clean install.

Hi

I'm a big EasyBCD user, and that's what I'll use to remove the Windows 8 install before I start the process.

I don't intend to do a upgrade, I'll use custom install option and replace the Windows 7 partition completely.
I have every thing installed in Windows 8 now anyway.

I'll go through the drive first to see if I can find things I need to back up but all my stuff is now installed on my other hard drive.
Windows 8 is on my second drive as well, on a separate partition.

I have a second partition on my first drive with data, I'll back it all up again before I start the upgrade just to be safe.

When I'm done I'll make a image of the new drive C: with Windows 8 on it.

Mike

If you plan to install RTM over Windows 7, the beta build will remain untouched. However, in the boot manager, the default will become the RTM, which is great however you might want to use EasyBCD to rename the old entry to Windows 8 RP or something, because they will both be named Windows 8.
I'm not sure I'd follow the same order as you with the process, but your way will get you there. Best of luck.

Hi Mitchell

If it would let me do so I'd replace my present Windows 8 install with the new one, but I'm not sure it would let me do that since it has to be an upgrade.
I need to have either Windows 7 or Windows 8 installed so that I have all the little things you forget about available when I get done.

It's just a lot easier if I have at least one of my previous installs available.

It gets complicated, a lot of my Adobe software will have to be deactivated in Windows 7 before I can re-install it in Windows 8.
I'm actually running some old Adobe programs in Windows 8 because it wouldn't let my put in my new stuff while Windows 7 was still installed.

I was planning to do a clean install, but at this point I'm not absolutely sure that will be an option.
I assume it's like the beta and gives you a choice, if it will do so I might install it in place of my Windows 8 install and leave my Windows 7 install intact until I have every thing setup.

Have any idea if that's a possibility?
Can I just chose Custom Install and leave my Windows 7 install where it is, or does it have to replace it?
If I can do that I may go that way.

I'm open to suggestions, that's why I posted this to start with.

Mike

Hi Mitchell

If it would let me do so I'd replace my present Windows 8 install with the new one, but I'm not sure it would let me do that since it has to be an upgrade.
I need to have either Windows 7 or Windows 8 installed so that I have all the little things you forget about available when I get done.

It's just a lot easier if I have at least one of my previous installs available.

It gets complicated, a lot of my Adobe software will have to be deactivated in Windows 7 before I can re-install it in Windows 8.
I'm actually running some old Adobe programs in Windows 8 because it wouldn't let my put in my new stuff while Windows 7 was still installed.

I was planning to do a clean install, but at this point I'm not absolutely sure that will be an option.
I assume it's like the beta and gives you a choice, if it will do so I might install it in place of my Windows 8 install and leave my Windows 7 install intact until I have every thing setup.

Have any idea if that's a possibility?
Can I just chose Custom Install and leave my Windows 7 install where it is, or does it have to replace it?
If I can do that I may go that way.

I'm open to suggestions, that's why I posted this to start with.

Mike

Hey Mike,

In an interesting and convenient move, Microsoft actually announced that you will be able to upgrade from the RELEASE preview to final, however the Consumer preview is unsupported. So that's out of the question. What I'd do is clean install the RTM over the CP WITHOUT formatting, it will leave your old installation in a folder titled "windows.old" on that partition, which you can then recover files from and of course be presented with a list of programs to reinstall from the "Program Files" folder within. Not the most convenient, but easier than backing up (still backup your personal files of course, just in case). That way Windows 7 is untouched and ready to go if you need it. In the modern age of 3-year release cycles, one should come to expect to do clean installs every 3 years -- get all your program installers rounded up, ready to migrate and start from scratch. And even with the RP upgrade deal, one doesn't get to keep their programs.

Knowing the Windows 8 CP would eventually lead to an RTM release which required everything be reinstalled (you wouldn't actually perform an upgrade on any version of Windows, would you!?), it may be hindsight to have installed so many programs in the first place.

Also please note, your secondary account has been banned. As stated here Forum Rules - Windows 8 Forums, it is a clear violation to have two accounts registered on our website "Multiple Accounts: The creation of multiple accounts by the same person is not permitted." I'm aware there was an issue early on with you logging on to the site and this is the reason for your two accounts, however "MikeMoss" has now been removed.

Hi

If it will let me do a clean install over the Windows 8 beta and leave my Windows 7 install alone I'll do that.
I'm not sure if that's a possibility, since it's an upgrade but that would be great.

I didn't really want to do an upgrade of either, I'm all for starting clean.

I just wan't to end up with one of my present installs still intact alone side the new one.
Just want to be sure that I have something to log in to if I have problems and help me remember everything I have installed.

Once I have the new Windows 8 all up and running with all my software configured I'll remove the other and install Ubuntu as my second OS.

I'll wait a week or so after it comes out and then people will be able to answer some of my questions.

Mike

Hi

I'm still running Windows 8 release 8250 in a dual boot setup with Windows 7.
Mike

Hi Mike - I would like to run Windows 8 in a dual boot setup with Windows 7 but I am unable to find a VM that runs in Win 8. I have one set on my notebook that runs in Win 7 with XP installed in it. Where can I find a virtual manager for Win 8 64-bit?

KC

Hello KC:
Have you tried https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/fr...mware_player/5_0|PLAYER-500|product_downloads
I haven't tested any of the latest releases of the free versions of VMware's player since switching a year or so ago to their Workstation 7 product. I'm now on Workstation 8 and it runs fine on Windows 8 but is not free.
I would hope their latest version would install on Windows 8 as the host machine and support most if not all other versions of Windows as VMs.
Keep us posted
Randy

If you have Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise you can create a bootable virtual hard disk instead if a VM. It only works on these 2 editions.
Joe

Hi

I've never used a VM myself, I just installed Windows 8 on a different partition.
Partitioning is so easy in Windows 7 it's no big deal to create a new one.

I do have my Windows 8 install on a different hard drive in it's own partition, separate from Windows 7 as well.

I will probably drop Windows 7 soon anyway.
I haven't found a reason to log into it for months anyway.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Downloaded VMware Player 5; installed it on 30 GB partition; after installation completed I clicked on the VM machine shortcut and it opened a window to a black screen with a message on it that said operating system not found. I wonder what is the best way to install Win 7? The ultrabook doesn't have an CD/DVD. It has WiFi and a USB port.

KC

If you look in VMware Player settings there should be an option to boot from ISO and install that way. I think it will be in CD/DVD settings. VM ware has a good forum for help also.
Joe

Good catch Joe. Should have remembered that and added that as an option. You're right just point the CD/DVD to the ISO and boot the machine from that.

Of course you'll need a proper COA Product Key.

I have Widows 7 ISO downloaded, unpacked on a USB Flash drive ready to install, all I need is a COA, I have a netbook that has WIN 7 Ultimate 32-bit installed on its hard drive. The netbook is dead. What I mean is I replaced the original electrical converter that came with the netbook with a fancy one and the netbook over heated. It has no sign of life. It is dead. If I can find the product key what should I do? Will MS think its already being used?

Back
Top Bottom