Windows 8 Installing Windows 8 over a dual boot PC (W7 and Ubuntu)

marcellocorrea

Hi guys, I've got a dual boot PC, with Windows 7 and Linux Ubuntu 12.04 side by side. I want to install Windows 8 over my Ubuntu partition. I know that just delete the partition with Ubuntu is not enough, so I'd like to know:

If I just run my bootable USB with Windows 8 and use Windows 8 installation assistant to delete and format my Linux partition, it will be ok? I don't care about loosing my Ubuntu stuff, but my major concern is about boot problems, once, right now, it's Ubuntu's GRUP the responsible for select wich system will launch. Also, i got important data in my Windows 7 partition.

So: is it ok to run the Windows 8 over a dual boot PC, in order to delete the Linux partition and have dual boot with W7 and W8?

Thanks in advance!

p.s.: sorry for bad English.

I am not sure how the Windows 8 installer will interact with GRUB. I would guess it will overwrite the MBR and load the Windows 8 boot system. If your hard drive has a Windows System Partition marked as active, it should go ahead and install, but I can't guarantee that.

If you wanted, you might use the Bootsect.exe command to change the MBR back to Windows 7 so you system would boot directly to Windows. That would loose your Ubuntu boot, of course, but it would no longer require any Ubuntu involvement. You could then set up the drive the way you want, and make an image of that, in case something goes wrong. Then, you could always re-image your Windows 7 install.

Any chance of booting into Windows and using the snipping tool to take a picture of your Disk Management window. Attach using the paperclip on advanced replies.

I am not sure how the Windows 8 installer will interact with GRUB. I would guess it will overwrite the MBR and load the Windows 8 boot system. If your hard drive has a Windows System Partition marked as active, it should go ahead and install, but I can't guarantee that.

If you wanted, you might use the Bootsect.exe command to change the MBR back to Windows 7 so you system would boot directly to Windows. That would loose your Ubuntu boot, of course, but it would no longer require any Ubuntu involvement. You could then set up the drive the way you want, and make an image of that, in case something goes wrong. Then, you could always re-image your Windows 7 install.

Any chance of booting into Windows and using the snipping tool to take a picture of your Disk Management window. Attach using the paperclip on advanced replies.

Thanks! This makes sense. But how command should I use for change MBR back for Windows 7? I tried Bootsect today earlier, but i had an "Access denied" message... I must have done something wrong.

I just went through the process by installing Windows 7, then Ubuntu along side Windows 7 so the Grub loader was used to select the OS. I then installed Windows 8, and after deleting the Linux partitions, and recreating the partition for Windows 8, it installed normally and boots to a menu with either Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Note: I am not using the Windows 8 released version, which I understand is an upgrade. Someone that actually has the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade will have to comment on whether the upgrade will allow you to keep the Windows 7 install, or if it will be sacrificed for Windows 8.

The other problem is that to use the Upgrade Download, you must replace the qualifying OS. Linux is NOT a qualifying OS, Win 7 is. You will most likely either use the upgrade media to replace your Win 7 OS, or delete the Linux junk ahead of time and fix the Win 7 MBR, or purchase the more expensive Win 8 Pro full install, OEM version to replace Linux and keep Win 7.

Edit: you made you last post while I was typing, but my post should answer your question.

Everything went fine, folks. I just deleted my Ubuntu partition (both, including the 'swap' partition) and booted the PC with a Windows 8 Installation DVD. Then, I just installed Windows 8 in the blank partition, that I was using with Ubuntu.

Now, Windows 8 commands the boot and I can choose between Win7 and Win8.

I had just an issue with the sound: for some reason, Windows 8 was not identifying my speakers, beacause the headphone was detected as standard sound output. I changed that in the control panel, and now it's perfect.

Moderators, you can close this thread, if you want.

Back