Windows 7 InstallShield won't launch - iKernel.exe error!

Troy Wachala

I'm trying to install a computer game but when I open up InstallShield, an error message comes up saying: "InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could not be launched. Interface not recognized." I've contacted the game company but they said it's a problem with my computer. This has happened with multiple games by the same company and I don't know what to do. Why is this doing this? Is there anything I can do to solve this problem? Thank you!

Hi, could you list game and system spec please..

The game is Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand

Do you mean the system requirements for the game? If so:
200 MHz or greater Pentium or equivalent class CPU,
16 MB of RAM,
160MB or more of hard drive space,
16-Bit DirectX 7.0 compatible graphics video card,
16-Bit DirectX 7.0 compatible stereo sound card, 8X CD-ROM drive, mouse, and speakers

Looks like the newest OS the game was useable on was XP. You might try running it in XP compatibility mode.

Looks like the newest OS the game was useable on was XP. You might try running it in XP compatibility mode.

I have done that. You right click on setup, go to properties, compatibility, and click run in windows xp (service pack 2) right? I've done that with all of the games that are older and they usually work once I do that, so I don't think that is causing this iKernel error. Is it? Do you think it could be anything else?

With all the searches I have done, most of the stuff concerns and missing files in XP. Not much on Windows 7 but there were some comments about the install being run twice and the first one not finishing.

There were some comments that seem to mention an update to the Install Shield software, but since the installer is licensed by the game maker, it might not help.

The error you are getting doesn't really specify what is the interface it is referring to. Maybe it is Windows 7, but the compatibility mode usually helps there.

There are some FAQ files on the Flexera Software site. Maybe one of them or the community might help.

As well as Saltgrasses excellent advice I'd also google for a forum connected to the game (if there is one) or try the games website.

Back