Windows 7 Internet Explorer 9 and 10 won't display correctly

Peter Van Aken

I recently installed Windows 7 OEM on a Dell XPS M1530. Everything works fine except Internet Explorer (Firefox, Chrome work). It's a blank screen with a couple empty tabs, with no text at all anywhere. I upgraded from v9 to 10, but still same thing. F5 refresh has no effect.

When I was installing software after the Windows installation, while downloading some free software I inadvertently picked up Conduit software, along with "Backup My PC". I uninstalled the Backup software and I ran Adwcleaner. I also uninstalled something called "MixDJ", which I thought was another unwanted software that snuck past me while installing several free utilities and media players. I don't know if IE was OK before these things.

I would attach a screen capture of IE, but I see no way to do that here. It's basically a blank screen with a couple tabs up top with one tiny IE "e" graphic in one of the tabs. That's it, everything else is completely blank, no URL, nothing.

I need advice.

Type "internet explorer" in the start menu and click on "internet explorer no addons" and check to see if that works.

You do not mention about uninstalling Conduit.
Do you just forget to mention, or you have not done that at all?

I have had first hand unfortunate experience of letting Conduit in.
Here is what I had to do......
1. Go to Programs and Features, uninstall Conduit and anything related to it.
2. Go to Registry and delete everything that is Conduit. If you don't know how to, post back. Please include which Win 7 version you have.
3. Go to Internet Explorer > click Tools > click Manage Add-ons > click at Toolbars and Extensions heading > at Show, click the pointer and select All add-ons > disable or remove anything related to Conduit. There will be items you can only disable because there is no "remove" option. For that I installed Avast (free edition) which has an option called Browser Cleanup. I used that to remove everything related to Conduit from my IE > in the same page, click Search Providers > remove Conduit as your search engine.

2. Go to Registry and delete everything that is Conduit. If you don't know how to, post back. Please include which Win 7 version you have.
3. Go to Internet Explorer > click Tools > click Manage Add-ons > click at Toolbars and Extensions heading > at Show, click the pointer and select All add-ons > disable or remove anything related to Conduit. There will be items you can only disable because there is no "remove" option. For that I installed Avast (free edition) which has an option called Browser Cleanup. I used that to remove everything related to Conduit from my IE > in the same page, click Search Providers > remove Conduit as your search engine.
Adwcleaner seemed to take care of that for now. I took the suggestion of the post before yours (because I saw it first) about no add-ons and then entered the msn URL in the address field where about:blank was. It went to msn. Closed IE. Clicked on IE. It went to Google, which I had entered for homepage before. So, all seems good now.

About Conduit, I'm sure it's still there in the system but Adwcleaner made it so nothing about Conduit displays. Or, so I'm assuming since I'm no wiz about this stuff. The Adwcleaner report after it ran was lengthy and it was pretty much all Conduit.

I have completely removed Conduit in the past using a procedure I have saved somewhere on another drive. I will post it here when I find it. I have not tried the steps you describe, but thanks. I will save this information.

Conduit and Pandora are nasty. I've had a lot of problems in the past 2 years with both. Someone should come up with a utility that specifically and permanently blocks anything related to Conduit or Pandora on the system. Could be there are browser add-ons available for that already, don't know.

This is the procedure I mentioned above. Seemed to get rid of Conduit completely for me over a year ago. Again, I'm assuming it did, since I had no problems thereafter.
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/938058

I recently installed Windows 7 OEM on a Dell XPS M1530. Everything works fine except Internet Explorer (Firefox, Chrome work). It's a blank screen with a couple empty tabs, with no text at all anywhere. I upgraded from v9 to 10, but still same thing. F5 refresh has no effect.

When I was installing software after the Windows installation, while downloading some free software I inadvertently picked up Conduit software, along with "Backup My PC". I uninstalled the Backup software and I ran Adwcleaner. I also uninstalled something called "MixDJ", which I thought was another unwanted software that snuck past me while installing several free utilities and media players. I don't know if IE was OK before these things.

I would attach a screen capture of IE, but I see no way to do that here. It's basically a blank screen with a couple tabs up top with one tiny IE "e" graphic in one of the tabs. That's it, everything else is completely blank, no URL, nothing.

I need advice.

In response to your posting entitled "Internet Explorer 9 and 10 won't display correctly" I couldn't tell if you were ever able to find a fix to make your browser show pictures and graphics. I have been having trouble with IE9 not showing anything but text. Even the formatting buttons at the top of this reply are blank. Most buttons on any webpage are blank. The same thing happens in Mozilla too. I tried installing a new video driver from ASUS, but that didn't help. I wonder if this is a Windows 7 problem. Do you have any suggestions? I would really appreciate any help anyone could give me.

Back