Windows 7 Internet Explorer Stopped working

xlivewire7x

Hello, new to the forums here, but having a bit of trouble with Internet Explorer. Here's what happened:

Installed Windows 7 yesterday morning and had no problems at all. Install went fine and everything was working as it should (as was Internet Explorer at the time). I come back to my computer a few hours later and to my surprise, Internet Explorer displays "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Well, no big deal I thought so I hit the "Diagnose Connecton Problems" button and it reports that it cannot find any errors. Next I try resetting my router; no luck. I installed Mozilla Firefox 3.0 on my computer and that works fine so I know there shouldn't be any problems with drivers (I'm hooked up wirelessly and wired by the way). It's weird because even though Mozilla is connecting, some Windows 7 features (like the built in Help) are not connecting to the Internet, while some (like providing feedback) are. Please help!

Edit: Also, I tried resetting Internet Explorer settings but that did nothing. No firewall is blocking it (only have Windows Defender and default firewall, tried disabling both of them but still no luck.

Last edited:
Do you have a firewall on your router? If so disable it as well. Otherwise it seems that either
A) Your system is infected and is preventing IE from reaching the internet.
B) IE is setup to go through a proxy server when it is not supposed to
C) IE has become corrupt in some way other than my understanding

open up a command prompt and type in ipconfig /all

if there's a gateway, try to ping it. Diagnose from there?

Well, friend gave me a copy of his disk and reinstalled Windows 7 so Internet Explorer is running again. I'll keep an eye on it and if something starts to act up, I'll post again in this thread.

Browser issue

although this is not related to the guy's problems. Can someone please explain me way when i'm in normal mode, neither safari nor firefox open, chrome and ie are unresponsive and when I put on ie ... my computer turns off. I can only access the internet and avoid all of my problems by using the computer on safe mode which in turn ... uses my computer's potential to a very limited level. Please answer fast!

One thing you could try meantime while IE is crashing, is installing Firefox and the add-on known as IE Tab. It lets you run IE inside of Firefox. If the issue continues within IE tab then that can help troubleshoot.

Silverlight

I had the same problem . Firefox, Chrome .. all worked. I uninstalled Silverlight and IE works fine now.

I have a very similar problem. Firefox works fine. IE will not work at all. It tells me I have a firewall issue. It says to check the http, https, ftp ports. I don't use windows firewall only zonelabs. Even when I disable it , IE till does not work. The thing is that I never changed anything, one day it worked and one day it didnt. I have reset the default settings, reinstalled IE, don't know what to do.

Internet explorer stopped working Windows 7

Might be caused by one or more add-ons.
Switch of add ons by starting Internet Explorer with add ons disabled
Start > type "Internet Explorer" in the search box
Select Internet explorer (no add ons)
From menu bar tools > Manage add ons
Switch of add-ons one by one and try if the Internet Explorer will run.
Hope it helps you as well.
I had the problem on HP Computer with Vista and again after an Upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium and on a Toshiba Notebook.

Internet Explorer Stops Working

I have a brand new Dell pc, and it came with Windows 7 premium 64 bit. AMD Athlon II X 2 240 processor with 4.0 GB ram. My problem is that I use twitter and Face Book a lot with IE 8.0 and it will all of a sudden just crash on me. I get the warning that it has stopped and will try and save the tabs. I am frustrated with it. It doesn't matter anymore what I am doing, it will just crash. I check for solutions when it does it and there are none. My resolution chart looks like a who's who with all the red x's on it. yes I also have Firefox and it has never crashed on me. Other than not using the program, what am I to do. I have researched and have never found an answer. I have posted this on many forums and have never gotten a answer to the problem. It's not in the add-on's. I thought that it was some of the add-ons on twitter and I deleted all of them and it still does it. Should I reload IE 8.0 and see if that will fix the problem. This has been going on since Jan 31, after I got the computer.

This is the date that I have on it; Each one is the same for every day that it stops working.

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: iexplore.exe
Application Version: 8.0.7600.16385
Application Timestamp: 4a5bc69e
Fault Module Name: mshtml.dll
Fault Module Version: 8.0.7600.16535
Fault Module Timestamp: 4b83889f
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 003481f6
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033