Windows 7 internet problem when i connect a faster router with no internet

zedjr

I have windows 7 64 bit ultimate. My internet i connect thru a modem and no router. i have a separate router i use just for home network and it has no internet,, just used for communicating to other computers. when i connect my router to the computer i lose my internet connection,, it still shows it in icon as connected but win 7 is getting confused somehow,, it seems it changes what it is using for the internet cause it sees the router at 1 gigabit connection and the modem connection is 100mbs. am guessing i have to change some protocol or some ip4 or 6 settings,, i know a little about these things but dont know waht to do to make sure it uses the right connection for the internet. i dont want to enable ics and bridge connections as i want to keep this router totally closed to internet. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums. :)

1. You need to configure your router. You should have detailed steps on your router's support CD. You need to enter data like your router's WEP key, IPv4, DNS server, SSID etc. This step is a little different for different routers.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

2. Once the router has been set up and you can see the LAN (without internet access), right click LAN > Properties > set IPv4 and DNS to automatically get ip.

You can also consult your internet provider and router support.

so are u familar wiht this issue,,

Recently I set up internet connection to a notebook through D-Link Dir 300 router. I had a support CD, my internet provider data, and the whole process took me half an hour. ,

i am not asking hwo to set up a router,, that is easy.. this is an issue with connectivity when connected the router.. an issue with windows 7 getting confused when i use a different connection for my internet,, firewall setting maybe or something else,, that dont have anything to do with my router,, please read post if u are going to make a response as cybercore there is no way u read what was my issue.

Back