Windows 7 iPhone photo downlod (to iTunes?) stoppedworking.

BudVitoff

Honorable Member
Running underWin7 SP1.

I'm not sure just how iTunes gets involved here, so please bear with me.

My daughter used to have no problem downloading photos/videos from her iPhone just by making a USB connection, and presumably iTunes was what noticed the connection; however, the activity resembled a normal download activity starting with a request for a "tag" to prefix the filename of each item download. All was well.

Then I got involved with cleaning up a very messy iTunes situation, reinstalling iTunes, deleting a slew of non-working songs, and adding back just the ones she wanted. I also was concerned about automatic synching that occurred when the connection was made, so I disabled iTunes from the startup in msconfig. She wasn't getting the automatic download, so I re-enabled iTunes in startup. Now the iPhone is recognized by iTunes but no download is taking place. Frankly, I think that "tag" business (which is not an iTunes activity as far as I know) was actually being done by some other piece of software in Windows, but that's where I hit a dead end as to getting back to the way it was before.

Assuming that I'm making sense here, can somebody get me back in good graces with my daughter?

Hi Budvitoff,
I'm afraid phones are not my strong point, in fact i don't even own a cell phone but have you tried re-installing Itunes and starting the sync up afresh?

Murphy's law! Shortly before I started fooling around with this mess, the drivers that sensed the USB plug-in got corrupted. Once GeekSquad fixed the driver problem, everything worked. By the way, as I expected, there is no relationship between downloading photos and iTunes. If iTunes was not open, the download would still work fine. In our case, since iTunes was kept open all the time, it also sensed the USB plug-in and started to do its thing, at the same time the photo download was taking place -- causing some unnecessary assumptions. Now we keep iTunes off unless we're using it and everything is good.

You don't have a cell phone? Can you help me stop my daughter from insisting that I get a smartphone? Ever since she got hers she's been driving me nuts!

They are slowly taking over the world, I mean does anyone actually look where they are going anymore? ;)

Back