Is a anti-virus program needed?

Calby

Hi,
As windows have a built in anti-virus software (Defender) and it seems that they are updating it regularly etc.

Is a 3rd party anti-virus software needed?
I'm running Kaspersky now I have always been running it without any issue.
But, if I don't need it I'll uninstall it and save the annulery fee.

So, do you have a anti-virus software installed?

I run ESET Smart Security and a Hosts File. I feel safe with this setup. ESET runs the update service hourly. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Windows Defender updates that often. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Last edited:
Windows Defender does update regularly, mostly in the background. I'd still recommend using a 3rd party malware suite over WD since it still doesn't have a great detection rate. Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to malware, just because it says it's clean doesn't mean it is. I may go a little over board, but it's what I do for a living so I have a lot of defenses in place.

• Behavior based malware software on my Windows boxes
  • HIDS on all my end points that connect to a SIEM (Free but can be difficult to setup)
  • EMET at max security (Free)
  • Ransom Free by Cyber Reason (Free)
  • Host based firewalls
  • Border unified threat management appliance (Free also but difficult to setup) [Firewall, traffic analysis, scan blocking, country blocking, IPS/IDS, email scanning, AV scanning, alerts etc)
  • DNS sinkhole for known malicious sites
  • Secure DNS with black listing

Some time ago, while experimenting, I tried running Bitdefender Free along with only the normal Microsoft security essentials that come with W10 . That combination seemed to work very well. That being said, I'm now running Norton Security, together with a VPN. So far, I'm happy with this setup, but when Norton expires I may go back to Bitdefender Free and save the renewal fee for Norton. ;)

hermitkrab … and when you do yank the cord on ol' norton … remember to avoid uninstalling through windows … norton has/had special uninstall package that, supposedly, yanks all remnants from one's system. i remember back when i had win-xp … it was a dell which came with, you guessed, norton. i tried uninstalling (couple errors surfaced immediately) … was only then i found out symantec/norton offered uninstall package. so … i reinstalled their av and then used their uninstall package … seemed fine afterward. did the same for this toshiba … soon as i unpacked her from the box. top of the hat to ya', hk.

Windows uninstall is fine for Norton. It's only when it doesn't work that you need the removal tool.

hermitkrab … and when you do yank the cord on ol' norton … remember to avoid uninstalling through windows … norton has/had special uninstall package that, supposedly, yanks all remnants from one's system. i remember back when i had win-xp … it was a dell which came with, you guessed, norton. i tried uninstalling (couple errors surfaced immediately) … was only then i found out symantec/norton offered uninstall package. so … i reinstalled their av and then used their uninstall package … seemed fine afterward. did the same for this toshiba … soon as i unpacked her from the box. top of the hat to ya', hk.

I've found Revo Uninstaller quite effective in removing programs completely, thus far.

It is absolutely essential that you run something like ESET Smart Security or Kaspersky in my opinion, as well as, perhaps, Malwarebytes Pro on your system.

Even though Windows Defender is a great first line of defense, it is certainly not the be all and end all of security, and there are some areas where it seriously falls short.

Hi,
I echo all the sentiments above, as several of our long-time experts have suggested. If you do further research on AV programs in general, Microsoft has traditionally never spent more than 0.01% of their annual research budget dollars in developing and testing AV software going back to all versions of Windows back to Windows95. It was not really an issue back then until in 1998 when viruses were able to circle the planet in 24 hrs. After 2003, there was no going back. Microsoft never has come out with any product that's anywhere close to 100% protection agains the millions of viruses currently floating around on the Web. Think about it, last time figures were published in 2016, the AV/Malware biz is about a 6 billion dollar niche industry worldwide. If Microsoft did any kind of adequate job with their own Antivirus programs (Defender, Microsoft Security Essentials, etc.), why would all of those other companies (about 50 of them these days) be able to generate 6 billion dollars worth of annual sales of their products???

Something to think about the next time someone tells you that you don't need a 3rd party AV/Malware product or firewall product since Microsoft's AV's are completely adequate?? :andwhat: Food for thought.

By the way, if you're worried about Ransomware, check out EMSISOFT, which is the absolute top-of-the-line AV protection these days, especially for Ransomware-protection.:) They are #1 in most of Europe and Asia. And the annual purchase price of $40 US is about half the price of the other big guys such as Norton, McAfee, TrendMicro, Kaspersky, etc. I am in the process of switching over all my other Customers to this.

Lastly, the comments from Neem and others about multiple types of protection is spot-on. I have been using 5-layer protection, which I've been able to downsize to 3 products using the EMSISOFT. It's worth thinking about.

My 2 cents.:lightbulb:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

For the last year or so I have used just Windows Defender. I have had no problem. Then again I stay away from sites that can cause you a problem. Windows Defender did catch a virus or Trojan not sure which because it was quite awhile ago and quarantined it.

and i got just a touch of rebel in me … so i usually run the gamut … and have, remarkably, stayed just slightly ahead of the necromancers [referring to banshees n' tommy-knockers o' whatever they're called nowadays].
" I may go a little over board, but it's what I do for a living so I have a lot of defenses in place … Behavior based malware software on my Windows boxes …"
"behavior based malware" … i believe neemobeer is referring to webroot … he's discussed it in the past, and seems a logical approach in today's cyber world.
" I run ESET Smart Security and a Hosts File. I feel safe with this setup. ESET runs the update service hourly. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Windows Defender updates that often. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that. "
" Do yall think this isn't enough? "
stueycaster … since you're already paying for eset, you might consider the free version of malwarebytes. but, again … it's your personal decision. fwiw … purportedly, eset also watches for ransomware … even at their cheapest subscription level.

edit / footnote:
this latest free version of avg s'really getting under my skin … with all the bureaucratic bs 'n nagging 'n coercion … <sigh>

Last edited:
and i got just a touch of rebel in me … so i usually run the gamut … and have, remarkably, stayed just slightly ahead of the necromancers [referring to banshees n' tommy-knockers o' whatever they're called nowadays].

"behavior based malware" … i believe neemobeer is referring to webroot … he's discussed it in the past, and seems a logical approach in today's cyber world.

stueycaster … since you're already paying for eset, you might consider the free version of malwarebytes. but, again … it's your personal decision. fwiw … purportedly, eset also watches for ransomware … even at their cheapest subscription level.

edit / footnote:
this latest free version of avg s'really getting under my skin … with all the bureaucratic bs 'n nagging 'n coercion … <sigh>

pnamajck -- While we do have ads/notifications that may show up in the free versions (this helps us to support Free for everyone!) I'm concerned about this. Please feel free to message me with some examples (how often? what are you seeing? etc.) as we are always looking for the latest feedback. We want everyone to be happy with Avast and AVG, whether free or premium :)

Ok I finally installed Malwarebytes. The first thing it did was flag "Dell System Detect" as a potential threat. One thing I always do with my A/V is disable detection of potentially unwanted software. I always felt like it's too much of a pain for me to deal with. Are yall ok with false positives like this?

If this is the old Dell System Lite, it's probably the fact that it's EOL software that has security problems. That or it exhibits malware behavior. I tend to upload items that get flagged to virustotal.com and see what that comes back with it.

I sent it to VirusTotal. They said it's ok. Dell System Detect is something the Dell Support site uses to detect your drivers. It's pretty much necessary for us Dell users.

Well yes, have not have much trust on windows defender, so decided to install Avast and its really good even on the free version. Its pretty much usable for me because the detection is great.

anti-virus and anti-malware agents will always be a necessary force in life … choose your sentry(s) only after careful research … and be mindful of gypsies offering charms 'n potions.
" pnamajck -- While we do have ads/notifications that may show up in the free versions (this helps us to support Free for everyone!) I'm concerned about this. "
fwiw, avast … i have gone forward and removed avg … as well as from my family 'n friends' computers … 'nuff said.

Back