Is a anti-virus program needed?

pnamajck -- While we do have ads/notifications that may show up in the free versions (this helps us to support Free for everyone!) I'm concerned about this. Please feel free to message me with some examples (how often? what are you seeing? etc.) as we are always looking for the latest feedback. We want everyone to be happy with Avast and AVG, whether free or premium :)
>>>>An observation or two here. Yes, I forgot that Avast purchased AVG and merged with them last year in 2016. I have been a big proponent of Avast for the last 4 years or so, and have installed about 200 licenses into the bulk of my Customer base. I have many posts about it on this forum, and 4 other forums I volunteer on. Personally, I'm not too happy about the merge, as I felt AVG wasn't going the right direction for over 10 years now, and they have had problems in many Universities and Businesses here in the U.S., including the 14,000 computers at the junior college where I used to teach having their IT departments strip off AVG from all those machines on 100 campuses. They replaced it with McAfee I believe. I also still see many computers come into my shop with AVG full of viruses, Trojans, spyware viruses, and Ransomware. My experience shows that with a Customer security load of other backstop programs sitting behind the Avast free AV, I have only had a 2% reinfection rate (I use a 5-program load, 4 other programs including Malwarebytes). On the Avast Internet Security and Premier versions, it's an even better 1% reinfection rate--the best I've been able to achieve.:up:
Recently, however, the new Ransomware versions are penetrating the Avast free AV and a few have even penetrated the Avast paid versions (IS & Premiere); though it's usually due to Customer error, doing dumb things like disabling the updates, or uninstalling the program itself. Latest Ransomware is a nightmare now, since I've been able to confirm that the latest versions actually search for AV & AS programs both, and have been able to seek out and identify AV and anti-malware programs, including Avast and actually uninstall them with Administrator permissions from Customer machines.:eek: Usually, this occurs with Malwarebytes or one of my TrendMicro security programs (back-end protection). This is really disturbing, as I'm having to change my security protection custom-build profile.:headache: Recently, with the help of other Techs on the forums I've put together a 6-layer protection profile and switched my Avast out for EMSIsoft which seems to do a better job blocking Ransomware, including the WannaCry. However, the EMSIsoft runs $40/yr. and there is no free version available such as Avast has. The good news there, I am sure you're aware is that Avast paid varies from $23-$33/yr. depending on if you buy it for 1, 2, or 3 years. Still way cheaper than Norton, McAfee, TrendMicro, or Kaspersky at $80/yr. going to $90/yr. next year per computer. Being in the AV biz, I'm sure you know all this. Point I'm making is that Avast is still the best deal on free AV protection that's out there. My deployment strategy--which is opening to critical feedback--is to continue my Avast profile load, as many of my customers are seniors on fixed income and cannot afford the $40/$50/$80 per year subscription for each computer in their home. Seniors get this standard load which has an excellent track record as I pointed out above. These same Customers who get hacked or infected, are then going to need to switch to my new EMSIsoft-based load, and pay the $40/yr. per PC or stop using their computers on the Internet altogether. And some of these Customers, a handful, I'm going the same route, except I am currently trying to switch them over to the new profile load if Ransomware hits one or more of their business computers, which these same seniors use to run SOHO businesses to supplement their social security or pension income. I'm hoping that the new Avast-AVG model doesn't do away with the Avast free AV product, as for 15 yrs. it has built a solid reputation among Techs, and a growing reputation among Secondary educational institutions, and some large corporations as well.
Hope this proves helpful to you.

An Avast FAN,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

>>>>An observation or two here. Yes, I forgot that Avast purchased AVG and merged with them last year in 2016. I have been a big proponent of Avast for the last 4 years or so, and have installed about 200 licenses into the bulk of my Customer base. I have many posts about it on this forum, and 4 other forums I volunteer on. Personally, I'm not too happy about the merge, as I felt AVG wasn't going the right direction for over 10 years now, and they have had problems in many Universities and Businesses here in the U.S., including the 14,000 computers at the junior college where I used to teach having their IT departments strip off AVG from all those machines on 100 campuses. They replaced it with McAfee I believe. I also still see many computers come into my shop with AVG full of viruses, Trojans, spyware viruses, and Ransomware. My experience shows that with a Customer security load of other backstop programs sitting behind the Avast free AV, I have only had a 2% reinfection rate (I use a 5-program load, 4 other programs including Malwarebytes). On the Avast Internet Security and Premier versions, it's an even better 1% reinfection rate--the best I've been able to achieve.:up:
Recently, however, the new Ransomware versions are penetrating the Avast free AV and a few have even penetrated the Avast paid versions (IS & Premiere); though it's usually due to Customer error, doing dumb things like disabling the updates, or uninstalling the program itself. Latest Ransomware is a nightmare now, since I've been able to confirm that the latest versions actually search for AV & AS programs both, and have been able to seek out and identify AV and anti-malware programs, including Avast and actually uninstall them with Administrator permissions from Customer machines.:eek: Usually, this occurs with Malwarebytes or one of my TrendMicro security programs (back-end protection). This is really disturbing, as I'm having to change my security protection custom-build profile.:headache: Recently, with the help of other Techs on the forums I've put together a 6-layer protection profile and switched my Avast out for EMSIsoft which seems to do a better job blocking Ransomware, including the WannaCry. However, the EMSIsoft runs $40/yr. and there is no free version available such as Avast has. The good news there, I am sure you're aware is that Avast paid varies from $23-$33/yr. depending on if you buy it for 1, 2, or 3 years. Still way cheaper than Norton, McAfee, TrendMicro, or Kaspersky at $80/yr. going to $90/yr. next year per computer. Being in the AV biz, I'm sure you know all this. Point I'm making is that Avast is still the best deal on free AV protection that's out there. My deployment strategy--which is opening to critical feedback--is to continue my Avast profile load, as many of my customers are seniors on fixed income and cannot afford the $40/$50/$80 per year subscription for each computer in their home. Seniors get this standard load which has an excellent track record as I pointed out above. These same Customers who get hacked or infected, are then going to need to switch to my new EMSIsoft-based load, and pay the $40/yr. per PC or stop using their computers on the Internet altogether. And some of these Customers, a handful, I'm going the same route, except I am currently trying to switch them over to the new profile load if Ransomware hits one or more of their business computers, which these same seniors use to run SOHO businesses to supplement their social security or pension income. I'm hoping that the new Avast-AVG model doesn't do away with the Avast free AV product, as for 15 yrs. it has built a solid reputation among Techs, and a growing reputation among Secondary educational institutions, and some large corporations as well.
Hope this proves helpful to you.

An Avast FAN,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
Hey @BIGBEARJEDI. Could you tell us what the 6 layers are?

The layers of protection would need to be different types of protection. Having multiple protections of the same type ex: 2 malware suites will provide little additional protection. This is what I would recommend.

• A good real-time malware software suite
  • Host based firewall
  • Keep everything up-to-date
  • Remove anything you are not using
  • Install EMET (should be built-in to the Fall Creators Update)
Optional

My recommendations

Ok. For starters I just bought ESET Smart Security for the next 2 years. It comes with a firewall. I've used ESET products for years and I'm very happy with it. I tried Kaspersky and didn't like it as much. Especially because updates took a very long time.

I use the Steven Black hosts file and use it to block everything but Social Networking. I was using the MVPS hosts file but found that the Black one gives MVPS plus a lot more.

I installed EMET with the recommended settings but I don't know how to configure anything else I might need to set. Documentation seems to be geared toward someone who knows what they're doing.

In the past I used Open DNS. Back then it was a simple matter of changing the DNS nameservers in my router. I'll do that again. I just need to get the password from my cousin.

When you say remove anything I don't use does that mean the apps the came with Windows and the ones it just installs on it's own?

I'm operating on the assumption that the modem/router we got from Time Warner (Spectrum) comes with a hardware firewall.

I just checked with Windows Update and it says I'm up to date.

Last edited:
I edited my respond with another optional. You can change your router DNS to go to Comodo instead of your ISP, they do a lot of black listing at the DNS level to further protect you from known bad sites.

I would remove store apps and desktop apps you don't need and even disable unused services.

The Comodo site says to do it in Network Connections - Properties. Do I need to change it in the router also or instead of?

Update: Never mind. I found my answer.

Last edited:
I'd recommend changing it on the router. Any hosts should point to your router for DNS.

Malware can still get around this if they hard code IP addresses or use their own DNS services.

I've been running WD for several weeks now, along with a VPN. I think that combo is doing a good job. When I do a scan with Malwarebytes it usually doesn't find anything out of the ordinary, whereas in the past it would usually catch some PUP's and stuff like that. No more now, unless it's just a coincidence.

Sweet thanks! I used the HTG link. I like how easy their articles are to follow.
I've never heard of EMET till this thread or maybe glanced over it because of the acronym name used?

I think I'll install this on my kids laptops. Might help with the constant user error caused problems they have lol.

Your very welcome Axel!

Hope it helps with the kids too.. :)

EMET will be built-in in the fall update. It's pretty simple to install and setup. Max security is recommended if you have issues with specific programs you can disable individual protections on a per program basis.

Are they bringing an update version of it or just including the current version? Hopefully there's no conflicts with it already being installed?

I used the PopularSoftware.xml as recommended by the How To Geek article. Am I missing some settings for maximum security?

Are they bringing an update version of it or just including the current version? Hopefully there's no conflicts with it already being installed?
I doubt it will conflict, probably just replace the old with the new?
I used the PopularSoftware.xml as recommended by the How To Geek article. Am I missing some settings for maximum security?
Here's some further tips on using advanced features:
6 Advanced Tips for Securing the Applications on Your PC With EMET

Back
Top Bottom