Is downloading Windows 98SE via torrent legal?

Phillip Bromley

I wish to obtain a copy of Windows 98SE so I can play my older games that don't work on Windows 7. Most notably Jane's Combat Simulations USAF. Microsoft is no longer allowed to distribute Windows 98 because of some deal they made with Sun Microsystems (apparently you can get OSes like MS-DOS and XP if you have a special license, but not 98).

Is downloading Windows 98SE via a torrent legal? Or will the FBI beat down my door and drag me away?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Last edited:
My computer is too slow to run Windows XP mode, it doesn't meet the specs. But even if it did, I don't understand how Windows XP mode will allow me to play Windows 98 games which also didn't run on XP. Can you explain in a little more detail?

XP-mode VM enables a backward compatibility with older software. It can run 98 based software quite well and fast (I do that myself with one old application). However, your hardware has to be sufficient.

Well, I can't run Windows XP-Mode, so I guess that isn't an option. :(

But my original question is still unanswered, are Windows 98SE torrents legal?

Thanks again for your help.

Well, as Agent Data said, Yes and no.
It's unlikely the FBI will show up at your door.
Personally, I'd find a genuine copy myself.

You could also try searching around on Google for DOS emulators (MS-DOS that is).
Odds are you can find a working one in a matter of minutes and not require Windows 98 at all. It is after all, 12 years old.

So as long as I use a legit CD key and not a crack, it's ok?

Those publicly available OS downloads could be tampered with and you bear all the risk installing such an OS file - keep that in mind! That's why MS generally and understandably does not like the torrent approach.

other than that your choice ;)

To answer your original question in different wording: No, it is not ILLEGAL to download and possess a CD containing an OS (either current or legacy). It is dangerous from your own perspective to download from torrent sites because many of them have malware or errors injected into them. The problem comes when you INSTALL, or attempt to install, an OS for which you do not possess a legal installation key. For instance, if you legitimately own a valid installation key, it really does not matter how you obtain the physical CD (borrow it from a friend, whatever), but you must use a legitimate installation key to install the corresponding OS.

DOSBox, an x86 emulator with DOS

That program should work for you.
Please tell me games were the only thing you need Windows 98 for? :p
You might not have understood why I need Windows 98. I want to play a Windows 98 game, not a DOS game. The particular game I want to play works on Windows 98, but not Windows 7. But yes, I only need 98 for games. Thanks anyway.

john3347 said:
To answer your original question in different wording: No, it is not ILLEGAL to download and possess a CD containing an OS (either current or legacy). It is dangerous from your own perspective to download from torrent sites because many of them have malware or errors injected into them. The problem comes when you INSTALL, or attempt to install, an OS for which you do not possess a legal installation key. For instance, if you legitimately own a valid installation key, it really does not matter how you obtain the physical CD (borrow it from a friend, whatever), but you must use a legitimate installation key to install the corresponding OS.
Gotchya. That's what I figured from the start, so it confirmed my theory.

Thanks a lot you guys, for all your help! :p

Back