Is my computer is infected with a virus?

Please help-desperate.
Im runnig Windows Vista home Premium. My computer continuously restarts itself by taking me to a blue screen that says that windows is shutting down to avoid damaging my computer. For the past 5 months i have been running avg 0.8 virus protection but just recently it has not been operating correctly. it tells me that my virus protection is turned off. I have tried uninstalling it so i can Re install it but it gives me an error. Someone had told me to install a cleaner program to help clear out AVG but it wont download it, actually Ive noticed it wont complete ANY download. I'm aware that this is a lot of information and yet not enough specifics. All I need to know is if this sounds like a virus and if so how do I go about getting rid of it if I cant download programs?

thanks.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Hi blossom83,

your blue screen is probably more due to driver error than virus activity.
Try booting into 'safe-mode' (press F8 when booting) and if you actually get the machine to boot up then it's probably a driver error. You can either find the latest drivers or did your machine come with a set-up disk or a reset disk? If not please list what machine you have trying to give as much information as possible.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.