Windows 7 Is my Hard drive possibly causing stuttering/graphic lag?

Soulfly

Hey everyone!

So, for a bout a year and a half, I've had this weird problem where for example, if I would be scrolling down a page in Firefox, there was a stutter going on every few seconds. The same kind of deal would happen when watching videos...if there was a movement whatsoever in the video, there would be stuttering, but if the picture was still for example a guy just sitting in a chair talking, it would be fine. I remember doing a fresh install of Windows 7 when still having this problem, but wouldn't fix the problem.

It'd be the same when playing games, again, the same thing happening, the stuttering would happen if I was only moving, but not when I would be standing still. It wouldn't happen on all the games I played, but I noticed this kind of behaviour on some of them. For all this time, I didn't really mind that problem, since I wasn't much into games, but now I'm playing more of them, and it's becoming a problem.

I've done a few hardware replacements over the years, like the RAM, I thought maybe it was faulty RAM, but the problem still persisted. I also switched out the 8800gt video card with another one that I have when I was using both of them for SLI, but nothing changed. I also got a new PSU.

I've also just recently bought a new CPU, and again, nothing changed. So...this just leaves out the hard drive, or god forbid, even the motherboard, which I hope is not, but it's 6-7 years old...

I've ran Malwarebytes and even did some defragmentation, without returning positive results. I've also ran Scandisk and Western Digital LifeGuard Diagnostics...Both were saying that the hard drive was healthy.

But, I've ran HD tune, and I'm not sure how to interpret the results, but the graph doesn't really look like other people's graphs. Here are two different tests that I've done (Screenshots below).

I'm really wondering if it's the hard drive, also, the boot time to windows is pretty long (about a minute and 30 seconds), but that could be just all the crap that's in there.

My system specs are:
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz CPU
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N-SLI DELUXE motherboard
4 gigs of ram CORSAIR
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
WDC WD32 00AAKS-00L9A SCSI Disk Device (320.07 GB) Hard drive
650 watts Corsair Bronze PSU

Thank you so much for your time, and please let me know if you need more info!
3485389.png

2zgxoaf.png

There's nothing actual in your specs that would indicate this. And stutter with any browser should not be a problem with any modern
computer... you can see my results:
HD Tune pro.jpg

Of course, I have a SSD disk. What results do you get with e.g. 3DMark?

The fact that you have had these problems before and after various updates would indicate that the problem resides in what you have not updated: the motherboard.

Hope I can help. :)

An oldie but a goodie! I love to see these old Athlon II chips and AM2 boards. Not a thing wrong with them and the longevity of yours is an example of what can be doen with them.

I wonder if you have Windows Search running? Some other form of active disk indexing, like Google desktop or Copernicus? These will all eat into things at odd moments.

You might try Ccleaner's Start Up Tool to see what is starting at system boot and disable things one at a time or do the same with MSconfig, if you feel a bit braver.

As to your system boot time of about 1:30 or so, no that is not bad at all.

Back