Windows Vista is there a differance between RC and SP1

net_travler

I have been running RC release of SP1 for a few months with NO issues.

Yesterday I downloaded the SP1 release from link I found on this forum.

http://winvistaforums.com/blogs/bios/9-download-windows-vista-service-pack-1-sp1-upgrade.html

I am a little worried about uninstalling RC and re-installing SP1 because of the warning noted on this post

"using this file may violate the End User License Agreement from Microsoft"

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is any real differance between RC and the SP1 releases ?

Yes I am shure there has been some updates in between versions.

Since you have had no problems with your current RC I suggest you wait
for the official Windows Update in mid mars.

Since there still are some issues even with this final version, by the time it is available for download,
several SP1 updates will also be available there.

About the warnings...
This is just a way to say "Don't blame me for what I just did"...
The SP1 update can still be uninstalled if you don't like it.

The copy that 'was' available is supposed to be the '1800' version that will be released in March. According to a blog at Zdnet though MS are staying tight-lipped concerning if this is true or not. So as the above poster say's, if your not getting any problems and are worried concerning this version, wait until March.

You never know when it's the real thing... :(

This is close, but it is a fake.
This is NOT the genuine version of Vista x64 RTM SP1.

See the following article as posted in MyDigitalLife

Vista SP1 RC Refresh 2 6001.18000.080118-1840 Standalone Offline Install Package BT Download » My Digital Life

\"Windows Vista SP1 RC Refresh 2 is probably the closet version to the RTM release of Service Pack 1 for Vista. There even many forums and blogs that dubbed Vista SP1 RC Refresh 2 with build number 6001.18000.080118-1840 as the RTM version, mainly due to the fact that Vista Service Pack 1 is now officially called only ?Service Pack 1?, without version number, and the desktop does not carry and plant with ?Evaluation Copy? watermark anymore.

However, Microsoft has not officially announced (until 2/4/08) the release of Vista SP1 RTM edition, and the documentation comes together with 6.0.6001.18000 (more detail 6001.18000.080118-1840) build version of SP1 has clearly stated that it?s SP1 RC Refresh 2. Whether you want to believe it?s the RTM version of Vista SP1, this version has been assumed by many Vista enthusiasts as final RTM copy of Vista SP1, and been used to slipstream to Vista RTM to create integrated Windows Vista Service Pack 1 ISO DVD image with fake ?self assigned? version number such as 6001.18000.080126-2040 and 6001.18000.080131-1830.\"

So enjoy the release candidate 2 build. It is a good one, just don't think you have the latest RTM version.

There is no way to 100% determine whether the RTM is different from SP1 RC Refresh 2 which almost no one has except Microsoft Connect testers. We are sure that the files we had up are from Microsoft. Its possible they released SP1 RC Refresh 2 as the RTM if there were no major bugs found. As we stated earlier the new Windows Automated Installer Kit references the final version of Vista SP1 as Build 18000. "Build 18000" is an external even number for the RTM build.

6001.18000.080126-2040 - > Refresh 2 and probable Vista SP1 RTM

I have refresh 2 and my build is: 6001.18000.080118-1840.

I think I will uninstall it in favour of the public releaseed SP1 when available, Just to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom