Windows 8 Is there a Pro version of Windows for Surface 2?

mynameistrouble

Hi,

My trusty netbook needs to be retired after 5 years of hard graft, and I'm looking to replace it with a Windows-based tablet.

My current preference is the Surface 2 (not the surface pro 2, for the avoidance of doubt). Battery life is key for me as I use it primarily in court, where I cannot use any plugs, and the Surface 2 seems to have the best battery life.

My main concern is this - I need to have a professional version of windows to take advantage of the Bitlocker encryption; I handle sensitive data and therefore need my work device to have suitable security. I need to know whether the Surface 2, which I understand runs Windows RT, can be upgraded to a professional version of windows with appropriate encryption software. If not, does anyone know of any apps in the Windows store that would provide professional-level encryption as an alternative?

Any help would be much appreciated - the IT guy at work has assured me I can upgrade RT to pro, but from my own research I don't think it can be done. I'm now very confused!

Regards,
Richard

The Surface 2 has an ARM based processor which cannot run Windows 8.x Pro which requires an Intel x86 cpu. You might consider a Surface Pro 2 or the newly released Surface Pro 3 along with a Power cover which contains a secondary battery that extends the run time of the device. My son has a Surface Pro (original Surface Pro) with a Power cover and gets significantly more run time (MS claims up to 70%) with it than without.

Link to Power Cover: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...de=34-229044181-2&WT.mc_id=US_datafeed_Google

Back
Top Bottom