Windows 7 Is today the day we get 7 ???

zippin944

I have read in more then one place that the public beta for build 7000 is to be released today. Has anybody seen it yet? I am watching the Microsoft Connect site, Microsoft Technet, and the Windows 7 webpage. Nothing yet from what I see.

Damian

Hi zippin944 and welcome to windows 7 forums!

January 7th was one of the rumored dates for release of the public Beta but then again so was January 5th, 9th, and 13th.. so who really knows.. ;) Keep us posted though if you find something! :)

I'm fairly sure it'll be today.
PS: The 64-Bit edition just leaked a few hours ago, so yeah. Good chance it'll happen.

From Yahoo News:

Ballmer said Microsoft would continue to invest more in research and development than its technology peers.
The CEO announced that a nearly final "beta" test version of Windows 7 will be available Friday for regular PC users to download and tinker with.
The new operating system â€â€￾ which could be available for purchase on PCs within a year â€â€￾ uses much of the same underlying technology as its predecessor, the much-maligned Vista. But Windows 7 aims to resolve many problems PC users had with Vista. For instance, Microsoft pledges to make it easier to install peripheral devices and to have the software pump out fewer annoying warnings and notifications.
Ballmer also pledged that Windows 7 will boot faster and drain laptop batteries more slowly.
"I believe Windows will remain at the center of people's technological solar system," Ballmer said. "We're putting in all the right ingredients: simplicity, reliability and speed, and we're working hard to get it right and to get it ready."

It came up on Technet (if you have a subscription) in the early hours. 64 bit included, and the alternative of an update download. There is also an interesting looking driver download. I have the 64 queued after 32, but I guess the site is being overworked at the moment. Present progress (5 hours per OS) means for me much later today!!
On Technet, of course, the keys are included, but I have no ide of the validity period, as it is in Beta. I,ll report back whenever.

Isn't the technet and MSDN version Home Premium?
I heard somewhere that Ultimate is only released for the public beta.

Isn't the technet and MSDN version Home Premium?
I heard somewhere that Ultimate is only released for the public beta.
On Technet it is the Ultimate version! Works perfect! :):)
Very nice look, and a the reactionspeed of IE8 is very very fast!!
I've installed it on a HP DC7700 with 2GB and it get's a indexscore of 3.2 (lowest score for Graphics).

On Technet it is the Ultimate version! Works perfect! :):)
Very nice look, and a the reactionspeed of IE8 is very very fast!!
I've installed it on a HP DC7700 with 2GB and it get's a indexscore of 3.2 (lowest score for Graphics).

Are you using a 32 or 64 bit version?

I wouldn't get too excited about it. It is still loaded with problems and blue screens. I downloaded the x64 bit version last night and installed it on my notebook and it took 3 hours to install on an AMD dual core X64 processor with 4 GB of ram. The video driver is not recognized. Downloading the most recent one from ATI blue screens the OS. So far, I'm not impressed at all.

I'm using the 32bit version. The time of install was round 20minutes! pretty fast! The only missing driver was de HECI(or something like that), videocard was no problem.:)

I wouldn't get too excited about it. It is still loaded with problems and blue screens. I downloaded the x64 bit version last night and installed it on my notebook and it took 3 hours to install on an AMD dual core X64 processor with 4 GB of ram. The video driver is not recognized. Downloading the most recent one from ATI blue screens the OS. So far, I'm not impressed at all.

I've been using Windows 7 since build 6801 and have yet to get one BSOD... any errors I've gotten have been marginal and easily fixed... Total install time was 20 minutes from start to useable desktop.. I don't know why you have had such a bad experience with 7 but I can say with confidence that Windows 7 is a winner and will do exceptionally well in my opinion... ;)

Well, I just attempted my second install, on a brand new HP 550 notebook with 2 gb of ram. So far, same thing. I started the process over an hour ago and it is taking for ever. Just like the other computer, the install spends a great deal of time in "Installing features" (over an hour so far). These are two completely different models of notebooks. I'm attempting the 64 bit install on these. I'm downloading the 32 bit version and will try that next.

Edit: It finally got past "Installing Updates", but now it has been on "Completing installation" for over 30 minutes so far. Something is not right.

mvierling...

I too have been using win7 since build 6801 & 6956 ..now 7000 & have not had a blue screen
install also takes about 20minutes..
no errors no problems...
are you sure your getting a legit win7? & not a vista cover up?

but I agree with you.... somthing is not right...

but also...this is a desktop I'm using & I noticed your installing on a notebook.
is anyone else seeing these problems with a notebook?

I am positive. Unless someone put a bad copy out on Technet. I'm a technet subscriber and I downloaded it from Technet (no torrents) last night. I have valid keys as well.

Edit: The install has now been on "Completing Installation..." for well over an hour. This is getting frustrating.

I can certainly understand your frustration... this is a very confusing problem.. I can't imgaine why it's doing that... especially since it's a brand new laptop, and your using a legit copy of 7.. it just doesn't make any sense.. I'll try googling this and see if I can find anything to help ya out.... ;) Just curious, have you gotten the 32 bit version yet and tried that? Not that it should make a difference but stranger things have happened.. Also, the 64 bit version wouldn't really be that beneficial to you on your notebook with 2GB's of ram.. I would think the 32 bit version would be a better choice for that one.. but that's just my opinion.. ;)

I'll report back to ya if I find anything that may be helpful...

I'm still trying to get the 32 version downloaded. For some strange odd reason, Technet downloads are extremely slow tonight. It's not like they put out a new version of software or something *sarcastic mode off*.

As soon as I get the 32 bit version downloaded, I'll try installing it and report back.

I downloaded 7 (32-bit) last night, currently dual booting with Vista. Install was very quick (20 mins) - only driver it didn't install was the sound card (Audigy 2, so that's to be expected) - it did download the driver from Windows Update on my first boot though. I am impressed with the performance, the only gripe I have is that I cannot run either Daemon Tools or MagicDisk, however that is a minor as everything else is going well.

I have installed Cubase and a number of plugins for it without any issues. Compared to the problems I ran into with Vista, this is a great step as I had to resort to XP before.

I am positive. Unless someone put a bad copy out on Technet. I'm a technet subscriber and I downloaded it from Technet (no torrents) last night. I have valid keys as well.

Edit: The install has now been on "Completing Installation..." for well over an hour. This is getting frustrating.

Strange.. I ran into similar problems with Vista Beta 1 (x64) - the issue was resolved by replacing the video card with an older model and removing the sound card else the system would hang on 'completing install' or give me a BSOD. Still, since you are using a laptop, that's not much help..

Wait a sec... So you all are Technet subsribers??? Or am I just blind and can't find the download on the official Win7 homepage?!

Back