Windows 7 Issue with intel 82865g graphics card

scooter18

Hello, and thanks for helping.

I just installed Windows 7 (build 7000) and am currently trying to update all drivers and programs. When I try to update my driver for my video card in device manager, it is telling me that I have a "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" and that all my drivers are up to date. It recognized my actual intel 82865g adapter one time and I restarted and it went back to the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter."

Is this an issue with compatibility or my driver? I am using an XP Professional driver bc I couldn't find a more recent version. Can anybody help me out?

Thanks.

Windows 7 requires a video card that is DX9 with 128MB.

I wonder how far back, backward compatibility should go.

Face it, your system is not capable for W7.

I have a pentium 4 processor computer with the same graphics card and am having the same problem. It is merely the fact that it is in compatible. There is nothing we can do but wait and hope that a compatible driver emerges at this point. I have searched the vastness of the internet looking for a VISTA driver for the card and cannot find one. Sorry

Thanks guys

Thanks for responding. Looks like I am going to have to try to get a new video card.

Anything I should look out for to ensure compatibility?

Don't give up yet! I was able to correctly configure the Intel 82865g drivers on Windows 7 (build 7000) on an old Dell Dimension 3000. The fancy Aero effects do not work, but it properly displays the resolutions and works perfect.

I downloaded the latest driver from Dell (Link Removed - Invalid URL) and tried to install it, but I had the same issue at first.

The computer would say it installed the drivers then it would reset and say it was the default drivers when I returned to Windows. I'm not sure exactly what I did to make it work, but I think if you play around with the different drivers on this page as well (Link Removed - Invalid URL) you should be able to get it to work.

Alternatively you could just buy a new card to get all the fancy Aero effects. :)

Edit:
You can look at a screen-shot of the driver properly and listed in the device manger here:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
Thanks, I was able to install the intel 82865G driver from Dell. The areo effects does not work but I can leave with that. Now that the text is displayed properly I can enjoy windows7 even more.

I was able to install the 82865 g from the intel website with the drivers they provided.

Video Cards and Displays

Disable Aero and most all video cards will work. Of course if one has a newer card that supports 3D one should try with Aero enabled.

Just signed up to post this info in case someone else runs into this issue, found it somewhere else online and it worked for me.

The intel chipset is on-board. I discovered the reason for the crappy resolution in windows 7 was that the memory to share with the video card was set to 1MB in the BIOS. I changed this to 8MB (the maximum) and then the PC rebooted I was able to select a higher resolution.

Windows 7/Vista compatible driver

I also have an integrated Intel 82865g chipset in my computer. I found that Windows 7 isn't completely compatible with the most recent driver from the Intel Corporation website, which is version 14.17(since I last checked). When I installed the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator driver I was able to set my screen resolution to a higher resolution (than 800*600, provided by the standard vga driver). The driver definitely worked but unfortunately I found that I was unable to play some video types in Windows Media Player like WMV (Windows Media Video) files or a standard DVD for example. This was very disappointing as I play DVDs on my computer often. When I would attempt to play a DVD or WMV my computer would crash and display the BSoD (Blue Screen of Death). This was distressing. I concluded that this problem was a driver incompatibility. Since I upgraded from Windows Vista, I noticed that Vista had a driver for the Intel 82865g build in so it didn't have this problem (which is strange because Vista has many issues). I managed to extract it and install it on my new Windows 7 installation. It worked!!! Not only was I able to set my screen resolution to a maxium of 1280*1240 but I was also able to play DVDs and WMV files as well.

Here is the link to the driver:
http://cid-ad503689c74985c7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Intel%2082865g%20Driver%20%5E5Vista-Win7%5E6.zip

Just download and extract the files. Then open up the Windows Device Manager (by typing it into the search box on the start menu) and go to "display adapters". Expland the "display adapters" and you will see a device appear. Right click on it and select "update driver software". Click "browse my computer for driver software" and then browse to the folder that you extracted to and click next. It should then automatically install it.

F.Y.I, you can't use Windows Areo with this driver. WMV files might also be discolored so don't be alarmed, its normal and not really that bad. It is caused by an incompatibility :frown:. You might be able to play WMV files in others programs which might resolve this issue. I know that Windows Movie Maker 2.6 for Vista will play WMV just fine.

Last edited:
Video Playback problem with 82865G in Windows 7?

I am using Dell Optiplex GX270
- P4 2CPU ~ 2.80 GHz
- 1 GB RAM
- Onboard Intel 82865G Display
- Windows 7 (Build 7600)

After Windows installation the video driver was ' Standard VGA Card', Lower resolution(640x480), No problem on Video plaback.

Then I updated the driver using 'XP Driver' (Compatibility mode), then with 'Vista driver (XDDM)' (Extracted from Vista), Both works fine(1440x900) but no Aero. The problem is, when playing video files with DivX/Xvid codec .avi files, the picture is currupted, There is a transperent width green vertical line at center OR one horizontal at bottom OR irregular color. This happen in any player ( PowerDVD, Windows Media, K-lite 5.3 ), also some uncompressed AVI not working.
No problem for DVD (.vob) files, MPEG, 3gp, WMV.....
I roll-baked the Video driver to 'Standard VGA', the video works fine but lower resolution.

Is it the problem of driver OR video codec?
I uninstalled the K-lite Mega codec, but the problem exists.
Anyone has this problem? ( Try a DivX video file)

Video Playback Porblems

Saferp,

I have the same problem. In my last tread about the Intel 82865g video chip, I did mention that it had playback problems. So, you didn't have any problems with WMV files, thats good. I forgot to mention that AVI files had playback problems as well. There is no program that I can think of other than Windows Movie Maker 2.6 and Apple Quicktime that can play any video files correctly. I would have to say that there is no problem with the driver but with Windows itself as many programs use video acceleration using direct draw and direct x. There is no way to turn them off without making the videos that you play really slow. No, I don't think there is a problem with the video codes either, just Microsoft Windows. Turning off video acceleration through the options menu in Windows Media Player won't solve the problem. The only thing you can do is continue searching for a video player that doesn't have this problem or convert the videos to a format that your computer can play correctly. You can use Any Video Converter to do this, although it may take some time depending on the size and file type you selected. You can find it at Video Converter, DVD Ripper - Any Video converter - The versatile video converter for iPod, iPhone, PSP, Zune, cell phones and more. The Vista/Win 7 driver that I posted helped solve one issue where the operating system would crash while trying to play a DVD or other video file.

To avoid hassle, it might be easyier just to buy a new graphics card that is compatible with Windows Vista and Windows 7 so you don't have to stress over this issue.

intel 82865G driver problem

Win 7 has its own driver and it is a standard VGA driver. if we have original Intel 82865G driver it has a option of frequency setting bot in standard VGA it doesn't... intel also stoped updating the driver for this.

82865 developer driver

I found that I could not get a monitor resolution of 1366 x 768 and that my video adapter, like others have noted, was displaying as "Standard VGA." Nothing seemed to work until I installed the version 14.17 driver from the Intel site that was labelled "This file is intended for use by Developers." I tried downloading the "user" version first, but it didn't work.

Now my adapter shows up correctly, and I can select the correct monitor resolution.

hey i got it working !!!! i did as the guy said. downloaded this driver http://cid-ad503689c74985c7.skydrive...a-Win7%5E6.zip
unzip it and force it to install on windows 7. right click on my computer. click manage , click device manager, under display adapters , right click on standard vga and click upgrade software, click on browse my computer for software, then click on let me pick from list click display adaptors and have disk and locate where the unzip folder is. click ok , a driver signing warning will come up, yes install it , then restart ur computer. and boom! u can change ur resolutions , play vids on youtube and dvd movies, works great. thanks for the link man!! awesome

Hi,

I managed to get the Intel 865G (or 82865G) graphics chip working on my Dell SX270 running Windows 7 32 Bit operating system! I had to right click the setup file for the XP graphics driver that I downloaded from intel's website and choose properties -> compatibility -> and then ticked run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP ... and also I ticked run as administrator. The graphics driver install program then installed the graphics driver and after a restart the graphics card shows properly in device manager and also shows the graphics memory is working ... I think the computers a little faster now :)

A note: I installed this on Windows 7 32 bit version - I have not tried this on Windows 7 64 bit version ... but the same might work.

Hope this helps.

Ollys Computers

Hello, and thanks for helping.

I just installed Windows 7 (build 7000) and am currently trying to update all drivers and programs. When I try to update my driver for my video card in device manager, it is telling me that I have a "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" and that all my drivers are up to date. It recognized my actual intel 82865g adapter one time and I restarted and it went back to the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter."

Is this an issue with compatibility or my driver? I am using an XP Professional driver bc I couldn't find a more recent version. Can anybody help me out?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom