Windows 8 Issue with Windows starting

Osyrhia

Hi, I've had Windows 8 since Halloween and its been fine until I had deleted my Windows.old folder. Everything seemed fine afterwards but it was when I noticed games weren't loading at all.
I tried restarting but then it had to dianose and repair but that didn't seem to work nor did reset, restore and refresh.

Not so sure what to do at this point

Hi,

normally you can use windows disk clean to remove windows.old files just for future reference.

Try running the system file checker. Open a admin cmd prompt and type sfc /scannow then press enter. Hopefully this will find and rebuild any corrupt files.

Hi,

normally you can use windows disk clean to remove windows.old files just for future reference.

Try running the system file checker. Open a admin cmd prompt and type sfc /scannow then press enter. Hopefully this will find and rebuild any corrupt files.

I've tried that but it says "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" I can't go into Windows 8 at all, any of the options available from the troubleshoot section don't seem to do any good so far.

To be honest with you I'd start over. You could try opening the charms (cursor top or bottom right of the screen) choose settings, then change pc settings, look for General on the left and from there you can either re-install or refresh. I'd reinstall and start over.

Did you make the recovery CD or do you have the Install DVD?

It sounds like your install was using the files in the .old folder for some reason. You will possibly have to redo the BCD store to get it to look at the System Partition for a boot.

If it had just been certain programs, you might have been able to change the shortcuts or paths to get them to work.

Can you get into a Command Prompt, using F8 or one of the recovery/install media? Possibly use the Startup Repair on the Install DVD.

The Windows 8 recovery system has been changed from Windows 7. I am still trying to figure out exactly how to get it to function if it does not start by itself.

I agree. Your Windows 8 install is fairly 'young' @ this point. Save a lot of fussing about & just Redo it from scratch. quick, sure & the least effort & headache.
And I would further suggest selecting "Keep Nothing" when you re-install.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Back