Windows 7 Issues installing... help!

Schroeder

So, I received an installation disc for Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit, for Christmas today. I am currently running Vista Home Premium, 32-bit. When I go to upgrade to Win. 7 I receive the following message:

"This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc. For more information, check your computer's system information. To install a new copy of Windows, restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc, and then select Custom (advanced)."

From my rudimentary searching I have noticed others getting this as well, but it always seems to be with people going from Windows XP rather than Vista. Is there any way to go about upgrading rather than a clean install? Any information would be very much appreciated and thanks in advance!

Is your computer x64 compatible? Did you run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?

It doesn't matter whether you have the Full Retail disk or the Upgrade disk, they both have the same OS on them. It's the product key that makes the difference. If you can run x64 OS then do a clean install with the DVD in the drive and boot up from that DVD drive.

Go to this link to read more about it: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Also check out this link: Link Removed - Invalid URL

This should help.

If you are switching from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit 7, then you have to do a clean install. So pop that DVD in, boot from it, and click install. Also, your key code will probably not work because it is meant for an upgrade, not a clean install, so call tech support and they can help you out with that, once you need to activate. You can do a key-less installation, which i recommend. When it asks for a key code, just don't put anything in, and click next.

Potential problems:
After you install, if it hangs at windows setup and you don't see your desktop, try taking out all of your ram except 2 gigs, and then restart.

Back
Top Bottom