Windows 10 Issues with October 15, 2019 Windows Update

Cardinal System

Honorable Member
Last week my mother installed an update (KB4519978) on her Windows 10 machine. Since then, she has been experiencing some performance issues and is having trouble signing into her laptop.

When she opens her laptop and wakes it from sleep mode, one of two things frequently happens:

1. it will show background, time and date, battery, etc. but will not switch to the login in screen
  2. it will only show the background, and will not switch to the login in screen

In both cases, it will not respond to any keyboard or mouse input. The only work around for this problem is to hard power the computer and restart it.

As far as performance is concerned, her computer has been running slowly since the update. Today, for the first time, it completely froze while she was on Facebook. We had to (once again) hard power the laptop.

Keep in mind that her laptop has worked flawlessly every since she bought it. There has never been any lagging or slowness whatsoever up until Oct. 16 (when she installed the update).

She did mention that the update took all night to install (it was still installing in the morning).

Why did this update wreck my mother's computer? Is there a problem with the actual update, or did it perhaps fail to install properly?

Here is some (potentially) helpful information on her laptop:

Code:
Manufacturer  Model             Name             SystemType    Installed memory (RAM)  Processor
HP            HP ENVY Notebook  LAPTOP-D8L9TS62  x64-based PC  16.0 GB (15.9 usable)   Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.90GHz

Last edited:
Uninstall the update and see if it performs better

I tried to uninstall the update, but it does not appear in the control panel under "Installed Updates:"
nNbtU.png

It is, however, present in the "Update History" in the settings app:
aEFq7.png

I attempted to manually uninstall it from the command prompt, but it says that the update is not installed:
E7OUY.png

Seems the like Windows is self-contradicting now...

Back