Windows 7 Jscript error 0X80004005

Tik

Recently I've been clearing some hard drive space on my PC by removing unwanted programs however I ran into a problem i've delt with for over a year

the installer says that JScript.dll needs to be registered to uninstall the program but when I use the command prompt (And yes I was running it as admin) I get the 0X80004005 error.

so far the JSscript has only affected Windows media player so i didn' think too much of it but now I can't clear off several unwanted programs without it

Also a small bit more information, I can't do a clean install because my computer never came with a Windows 7 install disk

What command are you running to register the .dll, regsvr32.exe or some Java command?

Do you have the file in the Windows\System32 folder?

I use Regsvr32.exe jscript.dll

and yes I do have the jscript file in my system32 folder

Looking for the error, seems to show it poping up in many different situations. Perhaps it would be a good idea to run a system file check to see if any of your core files are missing.

SFC /scannow

in that same Admin prompt.

Ok i ran the test it said it repaired the Jscript.dll however when i ran the regsvr32.exe jscript.dll again the error still showed up

If it repaired it, you may not have to run the registration. But I ran it on my system and I got a popup window saying DLLReg..... succeeded.

You might try rebooting if you haven't.

If you still can install or uninstall, and the registration service will not work, there may be another system problem but I do not know what is required for regsvc32 to run.

I suppose I should ask for a clarification. The error you are getting seems to be caused by not using an Administrative Command Prompt. When you say you were running it as Admin, does that mean you opened and Administrative prompt and it says Administrator on the top of the window?

Also, the following site, which is about Vista, might give you an idea of what could keep the registration from working. Maybe it will get you closer to a solution.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956348

Last edited:
yes I right clicked command prompt chose run as admin, the top of the prompt window says "Administrator: command prompt"

The only things I have been able to find would involve access rights or some necessary file is missing. The Access Rights, since you are running in an Admin Command Prompt, might possibly be related to the UAC. Have you made any changes to that or have you tried turning it off? You might even try activating the REAL Admin account and running the command from there. If you have some missing file, I have no idea how to find it without some type of error message showing a name.

If your system did not come with an install DVD, you may be able to get one from the Manufacturer. Since this is an OEM install, you are probably limited in what install media you can use. But there are now legal .iso files for the different versions of Windows 7 you can download.

Edit: There is a thread that recommends changing the permissions to many registry keys. I would not normally recommend it, but if you are going to reinstall anyway, you might want to try it. I suppose there is a possibility some file related to systems permissions has been altered and causing the problem.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/jscript/thread/b7d1a35f-3759-4217-91ba-e4416ac19d78

Last edited:
Back